should I think of myself or my IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

b165

Post by b165 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:02 pm
I am looking to change my job and the area I live & work in to be nearer my girl friend. As we intend to move in together in the near future. Whilst there are many jobs out there, the majority of them have a lower salary than I currently earn. When looking should I first think of myself and make the move regardless of the salary but as long as I have enough to live on. Or should I think of my IVA payments and think can I still make the same payment or will I have to make a smaller payment because of a change in my salary.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 pm
You should think of yourself every time - as it is you who has to work to earn the money to repay your creditors. Life should not be put on hold as a result of a few debts, and if you have the opportunity to move into another stage of your life with the person you love then you should grab it by the shoulders - and as two can live together far cheaper than one there may be enough left to continue with your IVA payments in any case.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 pm
Hear Hear!!

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:11 am
I have just emailed my IP for a month's payment break (something I hoped I wouldn't have to do) but my dad died this week mum and dad were on holiday in Dorset and bring my mum home on Thursday evening my car broke down and it may cost me a bit I am hoping my Tesco car warranty plan will cover the cost but who knows. There is also other expenses that have occurred like flowers and the extra cost of travel and the possible hiring of a car for a few days.

So for once I am going to think of me instead of my debt and make life a little easier. I know I will have to pay the months payment either through the coming months or a month at the the end of the IVA.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am
My deepest sympathy about your loss Jan, and rest assured that you will get the support you need from your IP at this difficult time.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 pm
I have posted on a previous thread, but my deepest sympathy as well Jan. You take care of yourself and your mom at the moment. Your IP will sort your IVA payments out for you.

Thinking of you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

tori

Post by tori » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:06 pm
Im so sorry jan about the loss of your dad.sending my sincere sympathy to you and your family at this difficult time.take care.x
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

angela18

Post by angela18 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:18 pm
Oh Jan I'm so sorry.. hope your IP agrees just to give you one les worry at least for a month.. hugss coming your way xx
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.
I just want to get through the next few weeks without worrying about money.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

Abby

Post by Abby » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:30 pm
i am so sorry for your sad loss, you should definetly be thinking of yourself and your family at this sad time, my thoughts are with you, take care. xx

v6daddy

Post by v6daddy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Hi b165, you should think of yourself and not the IVA, BUT, keep in mind that there is a possibility that if you and your girlfriend move in together, her earnings MAY be taken into account when it comes to calculating what you can afford to repay monthly. Regards.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”