Six months in

3 posts Page 1 of 1

Mrs_Brown

Post by Mrs_Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 am
I just reviewed my credit ratings on Noddle, Mse credit club and Clearscore, something I avoided entirely before my IVA. The Experian powered MSE is so far behind that my IVA isn't even shown.

As I was looking at those sites, I realised I am now around 6months on since my first contact to set up the IVA and how I have found life so much more relaxing since I made that call. I used to log into all the five banking apps on my phone each day to see how little was left available to spend on my credit cards, now I check the only account I have daily for anything unexpected on there but not in the same anxious state. I used to walk into shops fretting over buying normal every day things such as bread, and wondering which card I could put the payment on.

I was stressed to the max constantly. As I was looking at the credit scores, I remembered how a few months ago my head would be buzzing constantly about money and how to get by, yet now it seems a distant memory. I know life in an IVA is no bed of roses and I am really only getting by month to month, but doing so without the constant anxiety of the phrase 'what if' echoing around. Having the one account to manage and a set budget is the best feeling.

My only regret is not having done this sooner! It was been building for almost 3yrs, I thought Christmas of 2014 that I would just about make it to May 2015 then need to declare myself bankrupt (didn't know about IVAs back then) but instead... I took out two loans to pay off most of my other credit and reduce my overall repayments. This worked for a while, but the proverbial hit the fan when I "needed" to spend on credit again to get by after a change to the household (ex left, less income overall) and the books only just balanced for paying bills, but left no budget for food.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:18 am
Well done, Mrs B -- good to see you settling into IVA life. I must admit I used to feel quite "smug" paying for the weekly shop with cash ... knowing it was actually mine -- bought and paid for and the bill wouldn't b arriving next month ! It does become a way of life, a far simpler way of life and, once weaned off of credit is far, far healthier all round :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:27 pm
Great post going to show just making the call eases the pressure. Life in am iva really is not that bad - you just have to learn to live life on a budget !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “how are you coping?”