Slow Cookers

72 posts Page 1 of 5

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:53 am
Got myself one on Saturday...A Breville, reduced from £29.95 to £14.95, from Morrison`s...`Cooks cheap cuts of meat to tender perfection`, by all accounts, using very little power.
I sense an onslaught of curries, soups and casseroles (or `Casuals`, as my 4 year old nephew calls `em)
Last edited by Goosed on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 am
I've been thinking of getting one Goosed that and a steamer, I can't say I'll ever be into cooking but my hubby is and these look ideal for us, we have the slow facility on the oven and have been known to leave the odd casserole in there so may be a good investment for him. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:06 am
lesley_ wrote:

I've been thinking of getting one Goosed that and a steamer, I can't say I'll ever be into cooking but my hubby is and these look ideal for us, we have the slow facility on the oven and have been known to leave the odd casserole in there so may be a good investment for him. x
We use a steamer all the time lesley. Spuds, veg and fish all go in it...Wouldn`t be without it.
With the slow cooker, As I work nights, I`ll be able to put the grub on before I go to bed in the morning and it`ll be done when I get up in the afternoon...Well, that`s the theory anyway
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:32 am
We tend to use ours from september onwards,when its colder and darker at night and there is nothing like a good stew. And the longer you have it cooking the better.And add doughballs as well..................god my mouth is watering!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am
plasticdaft wrote:

We tend to use ours from september onwards,when its colder and darker at night and there is nothing like a good stew. And the longer you have it cooking the better.And add doughballs as well..................god my mouth is watering!!!

Paul
I take it doughballs are the same as dumplings? Mmmm, I foresee a good future for my slow cooker[:)]

Eric Cantona

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am
Yeah, steamers are DEF the way to go with vegetables :))

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 am
Oh yeah totally agree it's Winter Comfort Food, love a good stew n dumplings mmmmmm [:D]
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

Sinking Fast

Post by Sinking Fast » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 am
Hi Goosed,

We love the slow cooker. Stick it on before going to work, back at 5pm, and away you go. Meat is tender; love cooking chicken in the slow cooker so succulent.

Enjoy.

UpToMyNeck

Post by UpToMyNeck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:45 am
I got one of these a couple of weeks back, but have only cooked chilli in it so far. Have to say, I wasnt overly impressed - I normally cook chilli in about 40 mins, but thought, right, I'll get a slow cooker and it will be sooooooooo tender when it finishes it will be worth the wait..........roll on SEVEN hours, and it didnt taste any different to my 40 mins version!! [:(] I think I need to try other stuff like lamb and chicken in there, that should work a bit better than mince I hope.
Non sibi sed omnibus

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 pm
We had a steamer and it went in the bin - it took up too much space, and I only really eat peas!

We've got a slow cooker but we hardly ever use it. The meat is tender, but it looks extremely insipid! I prefer my food grilled.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:49 pm
My slow cooker sits in the corner of the kitchen and is called a Rayburn. Great in the winter for all the nice comfort stuff like stews etc.Not much good for baking as it is so old and does not regulate. Can cook christmas dinner in it if we put it in soon enough. Oven chips are delish

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm
All these things are ok if you've got space to store them!

The slow cooker might be going when I next have a clear out as it's taking up valuable cupboard space, and it's a case of out of site out of mind - we can't see it so it hardly gets used.

Now the breadmaker is another story - definitely worth making room for!

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm
UpToMyNeck wrote:

I got one of these a couple of weeks back, but have only cooked chilli in it so far. Have to say, I wasnt overly impressed - I normally cook chilli in about 40 mins, but thought, right, I'll get a slow cooker and it will be sooooooooo tender when it finishes it will be worth the wait..........roll on SEVEN hours, and it didnt taste any different to my 40 mins version!! [:(] I think I need to try other stuff like lamb and chicken in there, that should work a bit better than mince I hope.
dont use mince,use stewing steak and make a chilli. You wont be disappointed.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:57 pm
We have a couple of pressure cookers which we use purely as saucepans and hubby does our stews, curries, etc., in those.

I used to have a slow cooker but gave it away and the steamer (free with an order from Cotton Traders), has never been used.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:37 pm
Love my slow cooker, I did invest in 2 really good slow cooker recipe books just after I bought it (from the bookman at work £3 each). Was amazed at the things you can do with it, puddings as well as casseroles etc, Rice puddings are good done in it and Lamb Shanks are amazing they are so tender and succulent.
Have a steamer hardly use it, only for fish.
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine
72 posts Page 1 of 5
Return to “money saving tips”