Sons DLA and our IVA???

28 posts Page 2 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:38 am
Are you saying that you were 'cold called' for a loan when you were turned down by M & S? If so that is absolutely disgraceful.

nikkio

Post by nikkio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am
Yes...apparently our name was passed to them from M & S.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:04 am
It seems to me that it was THEM with the "hidden agenda" I'm sorry, I can't advise you but I hope you sort it out. Viki X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

nikkio

Post by nikkio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 am
Thank you. Hopefully it can be sorted soon.

I went to the CAB on Monday who said I had to ring their number to get an apponitment. I have tried every day so far with no luck and today they are closed for building works!!!!

I think I'll have to go back there in person and explain!

I'll let you know how I get on.

nikkio

Post by nikkio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:55 pm
Just a quick question...

Does anyone know how to find out who my IP's Licensing Body is???
Do I just ask them??

Don't like to ask them as, if I ask a question all the lady says is "so your refusing to go ahead with you review" and the guy says I have a 'hidden agenda'.

Not very helpful or welcoming!!!

But if I have to ask I will!!!

Thanks

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:39 pm
If you search for your IP on the Insolvency Service website you will find their contact details and their licensing body - http://www.insolvency-service.co.uk/newipsearch.htm

nikkio

Post by nikkio » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 pm
Thank you all for your help.

I'll let you know how I get on.

LabDebbie

Post by LabDebbie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:56 am
Nikkio,

I'm hoping I can be helpful too. Maybe you missed my post before. I'm a single mum of a disabled daughter and I've been through a change in my IVA so that I can claim her expenses. I don't know what you've already tried though. In my case my daughters needs cost more than her DLA (doesn't that always happen!!)so when I told the company that does my IVA that I was having problems they asked if they could see if they could lower my payments. After I gave them the evidence to show my bills they were able to get my payments down for me. I have to stay in the IVA another 12 months but I'm paying less now. My thought is that I used the money, now I should pay what I can back. That's why I didn't go for the BKR.

Have you told them about your sons needs? Have you asked to have your payment lowered and they said they won't?

nikkio

Post by nikkio » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Hi, thanks again for all replies.....IP not very helpful still...my case has been taken on by my local MP who said he would have assumed my sons money should be protected and is now taking it up with the ministers in the Department and Work and Pensions and national debtline say if you go to court and are given a fine, DLA would not be considered as income. I'll let you know how we all get on.

Thanks again, Nikki.

charlies hungry

Post by charlies hungry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:00 am
Hi we are with Kingsgate as well and we feel we where missled at the start. we where told our best rought was BKR but cos I was a trustee and my wife a Board member if we went down the IVA rought these positions would not be affected. However after nearly a year I got a letter from the charities commition telling me I was breaking the law and had to stop my work as a trustee immidiatly and shortly after found out my wifes position was the same.

We have now got a major problem with our car and the only way out is to use my wifes DLA to get a motorbility car for her, in the proccess of looking into this we possed a question to the DWP asd follows.

"Should DLA be taken as income in an IVA?

answer from the DWP by Email:-
Generaly speaking it should be up to the client to decide whether they want to use some or all of this income towards debt repayments.
A standard stratagy is to include it in your budget as an income so you are being open and hopnest. Then deduct the whole amount out again under something like 'DLA costs', so they are 'allowed' to take it into account but you can refuse."

We have approached the IP with this and they refuse to accept it and arewriting to the DWP themselves.... INTERESTING "watch this space"

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:49 am
DLA money should always be disclosed as income - to suggest that it is at the client's discretion is ridiculous - but that money is generally absorbed in its entirity by properly justifiable expenditure relating to the disability
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Jan01

Post by Jan01 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:57 am
Nikkio

Do you have a care plan for your son's stating their needs? If you do I would send ther relevent parts to your IP as proof of their needs. My husband receives DLA which was counted in our IVA but as his needs increased i.e. going to day centre every day I informed them about the cost of his lunch and trasnsport and some of that was taken into account.

Just a thought.

Jan
Nothing you can buy feels as good as not being in debt.

deb.ml

Post by deb.ml » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:40 pm
I agree with Jan. I posted a while ago that my daughter receives DLA. It is included in IVA but I sent in figures for care and IP put them forward and the expenditure includes the extra needs which balances out the monies.

Hope this helps
IVA started Sept 09. Glad to be on the way to being debt free
28 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “we salute the special people managing disability”