Still chasing

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

senoj35

Post by senoj35 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Hello.
This morning I received a letter from a company called Calbot Financial informing that if I paid £450 the balance of over £3,500 my old egg credit card (now Barlaycard) will be cleared. I'm a bit perplexed by this as the credit card in question was included in my iva that finished over 10 years ago and according to the paper work I received from the company who dealt with my iva everything was done and dusted and all.my debts were cleared.

My question is do I pay the £450 or ignore it and if I ignore it will the money go up and/or I get taken to court or if I do pay it will they try to get more money from me?

It seems very odd that after all these years my debts and iva is still causing me problems
and companies trying to get money from me.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat May 15, 2021 1:02 pm
I would imagine that Calbot have purchased the debt in amongst a bundle of bad debts and are now trying to collect --- they would have paid pennies for the debts so the sum they are asking for now will be a profit. Bad debt is often sold in auction type lots --- similar to those pallet lots of warehouse returns. I doubt Calbot even know it was in an IVA or, if they do, they are just trying it on. They cannot chase you for the money, but you might need to produce evidence of the IVA.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat May 15, 2021 10:29 pm
Seems such a long time after completion for anyone to be trying to get anything off you, even as Foggy suggests its just a company that has bought a bad debt bundle. You can rest easy knowing they cannot chase you nor should they harass you to make any payment.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

JD80

Post by JD80 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:27 pm
I found this thread after a Google search over the weekend, I too have receieved a letter from Cabot Financial (On Saturday 15th) on a old Egg card which was included in my IVA. Looking back at my old paper work my IVA it was completed in early May 2011, so that's over 10 years now.

Is the best way to proceed with them to send them a copy of the notice of completion letter? As I rather not leave it, as I was going to speak to the company that I had my IVA with in the morning.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 am
If you still have your completion letter I would personally send them a copy with a letter being very clear of when the iva started, that they were included and when it concluded.
I would end my letter stating that no further correspondence will be provided on this matter as the case was closed 10 years ago.

You are covered by the past so don't fret over it.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 17, 2021 7:15 am
I agree with Luluj -- a firm, but polite, letter, pointing out the IVA, with copies of the completion paperwork.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

senoj35

Post by senoj35 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:04 pm
Thanks for all your replies.
They contacted me again today saying that their insolvency department couldn't find any iva linked to this card and request that I send them a copy of my iva completion letter, which I shall do.

I find I quite difficult to move on from silly mistakes from my past life when companies like Cabot keep contacting me to try and get some money out of me.

JD80

Post by JD80 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 pm
When I spoke to them yesterday, they said the same thing to me. They seem to be trying it on in my opinion.

I also spoke to the company that dealt with my IVA and they asked for the letter and said they would be dealing with them. I’d also recommend doing the same. They also echo’ed the comments in this thread above.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 18, 2021 12:37 pm
Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 pmJD80 wrote:
When I spoke to them yesterday, they said the same thing to me. They seem to be trying it on in my opinion.

I also spoke to the company that dealt with my IVA and they asked for the letter and said they would be dealing with them. I’d also recommend doing the same. They also echo’ed the comments in this thread above.
I do think that a lot of these companies buy the debt and, even though the IVA is known to them at some stage, they still 'give it a go' in the hopes that some people will just pay up !

Kate.w

Post by Kate.w » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 pm
Evening, I keep receiving telephone calls from Cabot, however as it’s an unknown number I haven’t been answering. My IVA finished in feb2022, so waiting for it to be removed from the insolvency register. Do I answer the call or ignore I really don’t want to acknowledge them as far as I’m aware my debts have been cleared.

Many thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:30 pm
Hi Kate. Were they a creditor or are they likely to have bought one of your debts ? As they are in the business of buying debt, they could have purchased an old one of yours and are unaware that it was included in an IVA. If this is the case, as far as they are concerned, it is a live debt and they might escalate chasing it.

It is up to you whether your answer the telephone or not. Personally I would, just to see what they are up to and put them straight if it was an old IVA covered debt. It is tempting not to speak to them, but, until you know what they are calling about you cannot sort it out.

If you do speak to them, do not get into any convoluted discussions or arguments and simply state the facts, depending on their reasons for calling you. Do not be afraid to tell them that you will look into it and get back to them if you need to.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:47 pm
If you have your completion letter then send them a copy of that. You are quite safe now you have finished.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:32 am
If you finished in Feb 22 and waiting on your completion certificate I would simply answer the call and direct them to your iva company - you are protected as foggy and kallis have said and although you don't want to open up those old conversations I would be doing so, as it is better than a knock on the door.

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

SteveUK

Post by SteveUK » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 am
If it is from 10 years ago it is statute barred anyway Unless you admit it and start the clock running again.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:02 am
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 amSteveUK wrote:
If it is from 10 years ago it is statute barred anyway Unless you admit it and start the clock running again.
Yeah ... I wonder about this .... a debt becomes statute barred 6 years after it is last acknowledged. If it is included in an IVA, apart from the fact that the IVA, if successfully concluded, discharges it anyway, it would have been acknowledged right up until completion of the IVA. The defense here would be the IVA discharging the debt, not statute barring making it unenforceable.

It is a common occurrence for debts to be swept into job lots and sold on, with some debts in an IVA being swept along too. It is also too common for debt purchasers to "give it a try anyway", if they are aware. But the IVA trumps all in 'rock / paper / IVA / Statute Barring' wars.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”