store cards...

5 posts Page 1 of 1

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:29 pm
Hi. I don't think I realised untill my IVA just how many times I'm offered a credit or store card on a weeky basis.Today alone I got 2 offers through the post.Did some shopping as well on a large retail park.I was onlt buying very small bits in 3 stores and spent approx £25 between the 3. However, BHS,M&S and Evans all offered me a store card.I wanted to think of a smart answer, but didn't dare.Instead just fumbled with my CASH and glared.Debt is very easy. i know I should have been more diligent whilst spending but it's made very easy.Cat

carlmcmullen

Post by carlmcmullen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:41 pm
I was only having a conversation with someone this afternoon about the same thing

They always offer you 10% discount if you take the card, apparently if you push the sales staff and ask them politely, you can refuse the card and they will still give you the discount.

Not tried it myself - dont think i am hardfaced enough.

But as you said it is so easy every corner you turn there are sales people trying to draw you in. Best one i have heard is somebody took a credit card becuase they were at a football match and by applying for the card they got a free hat with there team name on it..... wouldnt have minded but it was Liverpool FC!!!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 pm
I once worked out that I could rack up £80k worth of unsecured credit during an afternoon's shopping in the city centre. Frightening!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am
Oh God, it's hard enough admitting you're in debt, but imagine how bad it must be to admit racking up those debts on a Liverpool FC credit card!!!

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:09 pm
On a related point I think my record was that in 1 month I got enough "pre-approved" letters to wind up owing over £250k! Scary!
Last edited by ianmillington on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for january”