Tax Refund

6 posts Page 1 of 1

Ponkers

Post by Ponkers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm
Hi,

I am registered as self employed and submitted my self assessment tax return in January.

Due to me working for about 5 months under PAYE and paying full tax during that time, it said that I was due a tax refund of a few hundred pounds.

This dates back to the tax year before I started my IVA.

When I have been in touch with HMRC, they have said there is a hold or something on the money meaning it has to be processed differently due to my IVA - they knew about the IVA without me having told them.

I tried to contact my IP when I first knew about the possibility of a refund to find out how I stand on it, but despite a phone call and an e-mail, they have never responded.

So, does anyone know what happens in these circumstances? This is money that I shouldn't have had deducted from my wages in the first place, but is it now going to be seen as a windfall? Will I lose it all, or a percentage of it?

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Hi Ponkers, I'm sorry I've no idea but will keep this post bumped up until one of the professionals come along to comment.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:48 pm
I think that it will be treated as a windfall and that you will have to pay the money over to your IP.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

johnh

Post by johnh » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 pm
Just a quick query. I am likely to get a tax refund at the end of the tax year as the Inland Revenue have had me on the wrong tax code for nearly 10 years! In 2001 I worked for a company who provided health insurance - a taxable benefit. They never changed my coding back when I moved jobs. I only noticed this in November when my circumstances changed. I really don't know how much is involved (maybe £300 or so). As most of this relates to a period pre-IVA I wouldn't have thought it fell into the "windfall" criteria. Am I wrong in this?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:00 pm
Sorry John - this will definately be a windfall, unless you have the benefit of the £500 threshold.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 pm
The fact that it is pre IVA makes it certainly a windfall as Melanie says. Had your tax been correct you would not have had to borrow so much in the run up to the IVA so creditors are entitled to that money. I know the amount is not really material but the rationale remians the same and makes a lot more sense when people receive rebates of thousands relating to pre IVA periods. If the rebate is post IVA it is generally not a windfall as it forms part of your day to day cashflow.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bonus, overtime, pay rises and windfalls”