The Holiday - Keep Going

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
32 posts Page 2 of 3

scooby1963

Post by scooby1963 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:16 am
Thank you Simon1883 for such an interesting read and I echo the replies. It has been a VERY tiresome journey for us and we have our last payment next week. (6yrs! which included the equity addition).

Unfortunately for us we didn't ask for a 'forced sale valuation' as the first couple of agents said they have to charge us for giving it and we just couldn't pay those. Our house was valued 25K above what we could get for it and it was difficult to say that we wanted a low valuation. We have survived on my sole wage for the 6years as my wife has learning difficulties so no chance of working and we have never had the chance to build up any contingency.

We once needed a new cooker and was told that a payment break was not possible so had to ask our family for help and then paying that back bit by bit was tough.

We pay £400 each month and want to start using it to get straight in the new year - new carpets and furniture which we are desperate for - even being able to get our boiler serviced!

Our spending pattern will not change and we have never been able to afford more than a couple of days away let alone a holiday nor have we spent money on extravagant things anyway before our IVA.

For us 'never-never' really does mean NEVER and we are going to stick with our Think money bank account which has been great for us.

Very many thanks all for all your support and advice.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:11 am
One last payment and then you can breathe a sigh of relief Scooby!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

simon1883

Post by simon1883 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:02 pm
Well, It's gone. The last payment has left the building!

I have one piece of paperwork to sign and return which will be done tomorrow. Then I guess it the long wait for the closure team to do the business. Slightly annoyed that I am being told 6 months is the current estimate for closure.. However, as long as all is sorted before August so I can go on "That Holiday" with nothing else to worry about...

I will almost certainly dig out one of Foggys post for the credit file tidy up tips!

I plan on staying on here and offering what I have experienced over the last 5 years to others even if it is only a user name to shout at!

Good luck everyone and keep fighting.
Last Payment on Jan 5th 2016!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:17 pm
Glad it's finished and hopefully that all important piece of paper arrives soon.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:08 pm
This might help - its a short guide I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV4RzUY4BRM
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 pm
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:27 pm
Great news Simon ..well donex
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

simon1883

Post by simon1883 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:05 am
Thanks everyone and thanks Foggy for the link - again!

simon1883

Post by simon1883 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:55 pm
Year 5 finishes and Year 6 starts....

last payments leave the bank and you're told that your case is with the closure team... A small spot of light at the end of a long unforgiving tunnel.

Weeks pass, you call for an update. "we need to send a variation in for the deed of assignment" You pause and reply... "This has already been agreed" there is however, some doubt in your mind.. They agree to do some further digging to investigate. The call ends and it's like going back to square 1.

I now start looking through the last few months worth of email and paper correspondence, nothing. Further back I look, then, BOOOM! there it is, way back in October - the variation as agreed by all. Straight on to the phone, even being on hold is no bother now!

"I have the signed variation agreement right in front of me and it was dated in October".

On hold you go again, only this time with a smile as you are sure it will be sorted. They return to the phone, "So we see, our apologies. We will get this to the Supervisor without delay"

A great finish to a hard week.

Weeks pass again, its now months since the "closure" started and even though I am confident, it still burns in the back of my mind all the time.

All of a sudden (20th May 2016), out of the blue, and email - I open it thinking more delays and further information required. NO! all paperwork including the closure certificate are included!?!?! Could this be it? I open the attached file and sure enough, it's all there. I sit at my work desk and read it all two, three possibly four times.

It sinks in, it really is over, I log on to IVA.co.uk and immediately look for Foggys post about PJG recoverys link to cleaning your credit file up. Along with other pages this is now my weekend read!

So, I can now truly enjoy "The Holiday" my family have so craved and I have not been able to provide.
There really is no way of thanking everyone enough on here. Its a great sounding board/place to let of steam and get advice. Whilst I do not contribute loads I read daily in the knowledge that I am not alone and there is always somewhere I can turn to for support.

Now I have to come clean, my wife, knew nothing of this until very recently when i "miss-filed" some post at home.... I though she would have been devastated to know the problems that I was in. She wasn't, she was brilliant and asked why I had not told her. Shame was my response. She called me stupid and said, "12 years of marriage, 15 years together and you though something like this would cause long lasting problems between us?" I said well.... She interrupted and said, lets get it sorted and go on holiday!

Excuse the 2nd long ramble, but this is all sloooowly sinking in.

thanks to your support, The Holiday is on.....

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri May 20, 2016 1:13 pm
GREAT post Simon --- get that holiday arranged and go and enjoy it !!

Congratulations :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

simon1883

Post by simon1883 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:33 pm
Thanks Foggy. Already booked and paid for with what I would have been paying the IVA.... Now to start firing it into the mortgage!

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri May 20, 2016 2:15 pm
Enjoy, it's well deserved.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

linrog

Post by linrog » Fri May 20, 2016 3:37 pm
enjoy
full final paid over 29/2/16 cc arrived 12/4/16 its all over

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri May 20, 2016 3:42 pm
And never keep secrets from the other half again.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm
Lovely post to read on a Friday afternoon after a very long week. Well done!
32 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”