Things that make you realise you're in an IVA

13 posts Page 1 of 1

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:30 pm
Before my IVA I had accounts with quite a few online retailers, Amazon, Dabs, Play.com etc. Because of this I would order things online for friends and work colleagues over the internet, DVD’s, computer games etc. They would give me the cash straight away which was great - interest free cash for a month with no cash machine withdrawal fee. Of course, I can no longer do this as I don’t have any credit cards. They do accept debit cards, but I don’t have that sort of money in my current account now. A work colleague, who I had done this for before, asked me today if I would order a DVD Box Set for them as they didn’t have an account with Play.com and they remembered that I had done so before. What did I say to them? Of course I will, no problem! I was hardly going to tell them that I couldn’t as I’m in an IVA and don’t have any credit cards anymore. To cut a long story short, I ordered it on my debit card as having just been paid, I still had enough money in my current account to cover it and I will put the cash from them in my account tomorrow. I think what I’m trying to say is that my IVA has been going smoothly for almost 4 months but something like this really brings it home to you what situation you are in. No one else apart from my wife knows about my IVA and I intend to keep it that way. I hope what I’ve written makes sense!

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm
It does make sense and i do know wht you mean. you could have just said that you dont have an account with them anymore to save you the hassel of having to go pay the money into your bank. You should never feel ashamed about the IVA..its a positive thing you are doing and maybe the reason your mate cant order the box set and open an account for himself is cos his own credit card is maxed out ??

This is something i learnt...you never know what is going on behind closed doors and those who we think seem to have everything often have no more than us...just debt.

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/

maxdebt

Post by maxdebt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:10 pm
It makes sense, Sensible! I have told some of my friends/collegues that we have considerable debt(very true)and that we will have very little spare money over the next few years (also very true)whilst we pay it back. I think a lot of people have debts and so they can understand that. If someone looked me in the eye and said "are you on an IVA" I am not sure how I would answer because for one I don't like to lie and for two I am not very good at it!
My thanks to Melanie and her team :)

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 pm
Hi
I know know how sensible feels and my biggest fear whilst in an IVA was being asked to travel to another site at work,I often had no money at all so suddenly having to find £20 for petrol would have been impossible.I could claim it back but that doesn,t help at the time.It never happened but my get out of jail card was to say that i,ve left my wallet at home or if I had a days notice was to borrow off my family.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:18 pm
i have the same problem, im an estimator at work and occasionally i have to travel to sites to access the works.

so i had to go into my boss office, sit down at tell him exaclty how it is, he was rahter sympathetic to be fair, and the convo ended up being a rant on his behalf of credit availible to people, he then told me his daughter ran up a huge debts with loanand credit cards etc etc.

to cut a story short, he told the accounts lady i take money from petty cash for work miles and when i claim back at the end of the month i pay it back.

that for one was such a relief, as now i dont have to go asking work colleagues etc with the same excuses andy used..

left my wallet at home...

the missus has the bank card etc etc
lots of payments to go.

pixie

Post by pixie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 pm
For me it's all the social costs of going to work! As in playing the lottery, paying for birthdays and all the collections that go round. It's not possible to opt out of anything either. When everyone decided we should all pay more out for birthdays, I wanted to say no but couldn't without an explanation.
So far the expenses thing hasn't come up, but it will at some point. Since taking a promotion a month ago my job will now include travel.
Oh well, life goes on!

Pixie
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:28 pm
i beleive some IPs allow some people a credit card for milage purposes.. im may be worng but sure i read a post from sumone who was allowed this?...

i know what you mean about the social side of things...

im running out of reason why i cant come out!
lots of payments to go.

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:49 pm
Another such situation is likely to crop up later this month, but at least I'll have some notice of this. I have to go to Spain for my job, (sounds great but it's all work and I will be back home 36 hours later). All expenses will be paid by the company apart from fuel/ transport to the airport and car parking, which I can claim back, but, as Andy says, if you don’t have the money in the first place, what do you do? I could start lying, but you need a good memory to be successful at that and I don’t possess such a memory! I’ll be able to get away with it this time as I can borrow the money from my wife, but as time goes on it gets harder.

mish1953

Post by mish1953 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:17 am
Im BR , been BR since July, personally I have found it simpler to tell friends/colleagues of my situation , that way there's no problem with explaining why I cant go to the pub of Fridays or go on office nights out ..

Mish
Early Discharge is not an illness !

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:31 am
I've done the same as Mish. I find it easier that people know so that they don't get offended when I can't go out, and I don't have to lie!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:06 pm
Hello All,

I know all peopls situations are different but at the end of the day everyone has debt to a degree. The biggest being their mortgage as untill it is 100% paid off they are only renting their home technically as if they faultered they would lose it.

Saying your in an IVA or are BR (bankrupt) is alot more common now and yes it is abit embaressing but at the same time who cares what others think if they are your friends and true friends it will be no idea and at the end of the day if you really look into your heart and mind your closest family anf friends are the ones that matter everyone else thats there problem.

As soon as you start accepting it yourself and openly teling others you will be surprised how people see it they tend to be more interested than judgemental.

And through being open and honest about being in an IVA or BR you could be helping someone else on their road to freedom from the hell of debt as I am supporting 3 people on their new journeys and each of them would never of started on that journey if I had not told them about my IVA as none of them had ever heard of it before.

So be open and honest and spread the word that there is hope at the end of the tunnel.

Debbie

Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07
Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07

What ever deceision and choices we have ever made, are the ONLY and BEST decisions and choices we can make at THAT time with all the info we have to hand at THAT PRECISE moment in time - so no regrets!!

cat 1

Post by cat 1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:16 pm
I think I would be mortified if people I work with know about the IVA.It's often such a bitchy office and one more thing would be difficult to manage.I don't mind my family and close friends knowing bits and bobs, and most certainly they deserved some explanation for the rapid mood variation and deep depression whilst I was sorting it out. However, the comment about other people have debts. Well, I know they do ,but I checked on the insolvency site anf they're not all there. Still feel very guilty about all of this and I dodn't think the shame will easily go. That's why I'm absolutely determined to make the next 6 years work.Cat

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:11 pm
A very wise man once told me that you cannot judge someone by appearances or perception. I now know of many people who live in the "Merc on the drive but nothing in the fridge" syndrome.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for november”