thinkbanking and Freeman Jones?

38 posts Page 2 of 3

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm
I have just joined Think Banking as I am just starting the process for an IVA with Freeman Jones, thank you all for your posts which make excellent reading and fill me with confidence that I have chosen the right people.
Saoirse

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:10 pm
I would seriously think about joining a free bank - try the Co-op as they come highly recommended and you won't have to pay a monthly fee.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

etheridge

Post by etheridge » Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm
Hi.

I would stay away from co-op.
Customer service is amazing, but they do not have real time banking.

So if you use you debit card in Tesco for example it will take over a week to come out of your account.

Online banking does not show this until the money comes out.

You have to keep calling customer services and asking them what is coming out on your debit card and then deduct that from your online banking balance.

Right now I have £99 WAITING to come out of my account from my debit card, its been WAITING to come out for nearly 2 weeks.

However if you use the cashpoint this will come out of your account straight away.

Oh also if I ask customer services what the £99 is waiting to come out, they say they don't know until it is fully debited.

I would go with Think banking, it costs but zero hassle.

The only bad point is that their customer services is on a 0845 number. Booo!

Judo

Post by Judo » Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 pm
I agree that the Co-op online banking is not the most up to date and I found that out nearly to my detriment! It is a downside but now that I am used to it I can factor it in!
I do agree that their customer service is very good!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm
Co-op are highly recommended and as long as you keep a note of what you have spent there won't be any problems.

Nationwide, Natwest step account and Barclays basic are good as well.

As long as you can get free banking then go for it - I couldn't justify the expense unless I wasn't able to get another account elsewhere.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 pm
I bank with Yorkshire Bank, went shopping to Morrisons this morning and by the time I got home, the money was out of my account. Cannot fault their customer service either.
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 pm
I bank with the co-op and have no problems. I used the card in Tescos and it showed up 3 days later on-line. Maybe I was lucky!! I just keep a book for all my expenditure so I know what is in the account at any one time.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 pm
I would only recommend a managed account as a last resort - they are expensive and don't really teach budgeting as it's all done for you. I had an account with Think Banking and the customer service was appalling, so hopefully it's improved now!

I had a Co-op account and I made sure I entered the details on a spreadsheet every time I used the card so I never went overdrawn.

beresford

Post by beresford » Fri May 13, 2011 9:28 pm
Hi I have been with Thinbanking since I entered IVA years ago. Personally, I am very satisfied with Thinkbanking and their service has only improved as the years go on. I now have a Mastercard debit card with them. Management fee is probably a little steep. Thinkbanking were recommended to me shortly after I set up IVA, when no other bank would touch me. I'll be happy to continue banking with Think when IVA finishes in a few months time.
Last payment made on 1st Nov 2011. Happy to be debt free!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:37 pm
Glad you have found them ok but I would still only recommend a paid for account as a last resort while there are still free ones about.

Surprised you couldn't get an account with the Co-op though unless they were one of your creditors.
Bob Marley.

etheridge

Post by etheridge » Fri May 13, 2011 10:51 pm
Hi.

Slightly off topic, what other banks are good for us IVA'ers?

I know it's very limited!! :-(

Thanks
Jason.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 am
Natwest Step account, Barclays Basic account, Co-op cashminder, Yorkshire Building Society I believe.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 14, 2011 5:46 pm
I personally rate the Natwest, I have their account and even though it's a basic account I feel more valued in their branch than I ever did with my previous bank. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Judo

Post by Judo » Sat May 14, 2011 5:57 pm
I have the Natwest Step account and the Co-op Cashminder and both are brilliant!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat May 14, 2011 6:00 pm
I was with Natwest pre-IVA/BR and I was really sorry to change from them as I really rated them.
38 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “IVA postbag for march”