This one's for Spenmotherhen

16 posts Page 1 of 2

e.h

Post by e.h » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 pm
Taking advantage of your offer on tips for exercising, I carry a lot of weight on my back (I guess its love handles!) (Yuck) and would like an effective exercise to get rid of them! Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Liz
x

jayne

Post by jayne » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:58 pm
I have a question too mother hen - I have just started a beginners prog jogging - however im currently 18st 10, 5ft 9 and a couple of people have said i need to be carefull of my knees as it could damage them - what do u think ?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 pm
How are you getting on with the jogging Jayne? I want to start, but I'm a bit embarrassed about people seeing me! I'm also worried as I had a knee operation a few years ago and I've also got back problems! The back problems get better the more I exercise but I worry about my knee!

I sound a complete wreck don't I?!?!?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

jayne

Post by jayne » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 pm
Hi Skippy,
I downloaded beginners prog from runners world and used the running track at the gym - ive only done it once this week - plsnning to try out side sat am - and I am self conscious but just decided to switch off from everyone around. Got to say its really hard though - but going to give it a good go!
Im not sure about the knee - im a bit wooried about mine too.
What exercise u planning on doing then skippy

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 pm
Can you let me know where I can find the programme on the website - I've had a look but can't find it.

I'm going for my induction at the gym on Tuesday so I'm going to try and go a couple of times a week. I'm thinking of trying aqua aerobics classes as well, but I'm not keen on being seen in a swimming cossie! Once the light nights are here I'm planning on cycling to work as well, so hopefully that'll help.

I've decided that I need to reward myself if I reach my target and if I do I'm going to get another tattoo - I want one more, but I thought it might motivate me if I made it my reward!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

suzz

Post by suzz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:44 pm
Hi i have a question for Spenmotherhen, I too have dodgy knees and back what is the best kind of exercise for me to atempt, i do go cycling in the summer (or when not raining) but weather not been too good lately, i was thinking of going swimming but that hurts my neck (what am i doing wrong)[:I][:I].

Thanks Suzz

jayne

Post by jayne » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:06 pm
Skippy - I got my beginners jogging prog from runners world on the internet just tap it into google and click on beginners.
Good luck - Im going tomorrow for another go. Unfortunately hit the rum tonight !!!

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 am
Grasshopper, wise man say, if nose runs and feet smell, you been built upside down.

Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
(9 down, 51 to go)
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:05 am
Hi Liz unfortunately you can not spot reduce a particular area. Stick with aerobic exercises for 30 mins 3 times a week to begin with such as running or walking briskly at a pace where you are able to hold a conversation, swimming is a great all over body work out and does not put any stress on the joints, cycling etc you will find once you begin to lose weight these problem areas will reduce.

Measure your self with a tape measure and record the measurements over time you will see the results. What you need to bare in mind is that you see yourself daily and therefore would not notice any changes apart from clothes becoming looser, or weight loss. By recording and setting realistic short term goals you can get to where you want to be. Hope this helps.

Hi Jayne when you begin running it is particulary easy to gain injuries doing too much too quick. Our knees and ankles take alot of impact and stress in regular life so when under extra strain due to exercising it is wise to be careful, warming up and cooling down play an important part in your exercise regime. If you have not ran for along time, a beginners level is a good start, I used to reccomend to my clients starting off on a walking programme to begin with. This will help gain a level of fitness to begin a running programme but will also allow the joints, muscles and bones etc to strengthen and improve in flexability, however trainers play an important part also as these help with impact and support for our feet and joints. You may experience discomfort to the fronts of your lower legs (Usually described as "Shin Splints" I'm not a doctor but this is quite common in people who have not ran for some time and have either been running constantly on hard ground or are wearing incorect footwear. A chat with your doctor may be advisable as to whether you should begin a walking prior to a running programme or not. They can often offer you a mini health check which would confirm any queries you may have. Best of luck

Suzz swimming is a great exercise, it is non weight bearing and done regularly can improve fitness levels and help with wight loss. I am guessing you are swimming breast stroke as to why your neck is hurting? If so the reason for this could be down to holding your head out of the water. This puts strain on the neck as it is not a natural p0osition for the neck to be in for a period of time. Try breathing under the water as you are swimming this way the neck is not kept in the same position and is able to move more frequently, your swimming may also improve due to improving your stroke. If it becomes to much or you are not able to put your face in the water, try swimming on your back, the head remains in a natural position and therefore does not put pressure on the neck muscles. Just be careful you don't bump your head when you get to the end. Let me know how you get on.

Skippy13 aqua aerobics is also a great exercise routine. Its usually quite social and a good laugh. Running through the water is a strange experience!!

OT lol!!!!

Best of luck to you all if I can help any further please ask away!!

olympic_torch

Post by olympic_torch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:59 am
I'm into a healthy new me now.
Every morning its "up" then "down", "up" then "down"
Then the other eyelid.

Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
(9 down, 51 to go)
Aucto Splendore Resurgo.
IVA accepted May 2007.
Extended by 12 months in lieu of equity March 2012.
F+F offer accepted May 2012.
C of C received August 2012.
IVA dropped off credit file 24th May 2013.

jayne

Post by jayne » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:35 pm
thanks spenmotherhen - i have been building my fitness up last yr and doing some walking. I have done another jog and so far so good - but will take it easy - im going to spend a couple of weeks at the first stage of the prog - so the 8 week prog might take me 16 weeks.
Thanks once again
Jayne[:)]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:51 pm
Thanks Jayne, I've found it and printed it off. I'm going to do the same as you and spend a couple of weeks on each level if necessary - although I know I've got to push myself there's no point in overdoing it, which is what I usually do!

I've got my gym induction on Tuesday, so I'll start it after that as I'd rather start off on the treadmill - the good people of Surrey aren't ready for the sight of me running yet!

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:27 pm
Skippy 13 and Jayne all the best and you are both doing the right thing and extending the programme to suit your needs. You will know that your fitness is improving by the way you feel during and after each session but also your recovery rate (The time it takes you post exercise to return back to your normal regular heart rate) will improve.

Although at times it will be hard with every training session you will be making it easier for yourself next time.

A tip on the running machine skippy, if you put the incline at 3% this is supposed to be the equivalent to running outside.

Good Luck!!

jayne

Post by jayne » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:01 pm
Good luck Skippy - when I first saw the prog I thought it looked easy however I found it really hard. I did my 2nd lot yesterday which made me feel good. There is a running track in the gym I go to - I couldnt do it on the treadmill as I would be scared of falling off. I was going to venture outside yesterday but decided I was not confident enough.
Not had a great week end food wise its always harder at the weekends.
Anyway let me knw how u get on.

Thanks for ur advice spenmotherhen.
Jayne

e.h

Post by e.h » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:56 pm
Thanks for the info Spenmotherhen - me and my beloved dog Nelson are going to start powerwalking tomorrow!

Apparently it is going to be torrential rain tomorrow so hopefully I can coax Nelson out of the front door - he doesn't like getting his hair wet!

Wish me luck!

Liz
x
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “weight watchers club”