Public liability insurance

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
32 posts Page 1 of 3

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:22 pm
Sorry to ask this question again, but I'm hoping someone who may have not seen my last thread on this subject sees it this time.

Does anyone know of an insurance company who will provide public liability insurance to a sole trader in an IVA?

I have tried absolutely everywhere. Even a couple of outfits who claim to cater for undischarged bankrupts etc have turned me down because it is public liability I am after.

This really is getting ridiculous.

Help!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm
Can't help you Matt, sorry!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:15 pm
I've just had a fairly encouraging conversation with a nice lady from a company called Woodstock insurance. Apparently they offer insurance to bankrupts and sometimes with the option to pay by installments.

She will be getting back to me tomorrow, so if there is good news I will be sure to post the company's details for future reference should anyone else find themselves having difficulty getting public liability insurance.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:22 pm
I hope you get this sorted Matt, maybe one of the professionals know of a company? x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:23 pm
Fingers crossed Matt!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:37 pm
I've really never known anything like it to be honest.

After reading some old posts on here about public liability insurance I know there are several people who are mistakenly of the belief that they are covered when they are not.

IVAs, bankrupts, CCJs etc are all fobidden when you check the terms and conditions or statement of facts of any public liability insurance.

Anyone who bought online is almost certainly NOT covered.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:36 pm
AA Insurance - someone mentioned this last week - you can get a quote on line and apply all on line and all is fine

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 pm
Is that public liability though?
Bob Marley.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:54 pm
Yes it was to £5million - a few people I know have used them who are in an IVA or Bankrupt!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 pm
Worth a try then.
Bob Marley.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:13 pm
they quoted £120 for the year !

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 pm
I looked on AA only this afternoon after seeing the old posts on here, but it's not quite what it would seem.

If you proceed with your online application and reach the final stages you will eventually come across the page where it gives details of the policy etc.

If you click on the statement of facts (or something like that) link it will take you to the terms and conditions. They state quite clearly that the insurer assumes that nobody connected with the business has ever been declared bankrupt, has an IVA or CCJs etc.

Whilst the site allows you to complete a purchase without actually asking the question about your status directly, it's there in black and white in the terms.

If you bought online you're probably not covered should you ever make a claim.

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:02 pm
I am currently researching the market to find an Insurer that will consider this, with a view to developing a competitively priced Public Liability Policy specifically designed for business people currently within an IVA. I now need to establish what sort of demand there is for a policy of this nature, and what is the best currently on offer.

If you are running a business and are finding this cover difficult to arrange, please e-mail me:
1. the nature of your business.
2. your current turnover.

If you have this cover already, please e-mail me:
3. your current insurer.
4. your current annual premium.

You can find my e-mail address under my entry as a Forum expert on Payment Protection Insurance.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:28 pm
I have sent an email to the address given at the bottom of your signature John.

Having spent days on end trying to get public liability insurance it seems as though almost nobody will insure those in IVAs. The only one I have found that does provide this type of cover will only cover for personal injury and not for damage to property being worked upon.

From reading some of the posts on here it seems that a number of people have bought public liability online from providers who do not directly ask about bankruptcy or insolvency and have taken that to mean that the insurance provider is not concerned by it. Unfortunately, it IS mentioned in the small print and it would appear that these people who have bought online are not actually insured at all.

Insurance with the AA is one example of this. They don't ask directly about insolvency, but it's there in their terms and conditions. God only knows how many people in IVAs think they are insured with the AA when they are actually not.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:34 pm
I hope John can get something sorted for you Matt. Let us know.
Bob Marley.
32 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”