Renting

5 posts Page 1 of 1

thebear29uk

Post by thebear29uk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Hi all

If I need to move whilst in an IVA does anybody know if the main letting agents will allow me to rent if I have a guarantor. I'm aware some ask for 6 months rent up front but this would be impossible. I have read online that some companies will allow for a guarantor but was wondering if this was across the board.

I've been happily living in my flat for just under 3 years and my landlord has indicated he may now want to sell. Its only being valued this afternoon and, as prices here are quite static, and quite a few flats have been empty for a few months, he may decide to continue renting. But if he does sell I will have about 2 months to find somewhere else.

To anybody else in this situation I've also come across a website called www.gumtree.com. This advertises rental properties amongst other things and is a combination of private and agency. One private rent that I looked at was only requiring a bank ref and employer ref.

I would appreciate any info anyone can provide

Regards

Dave
Regards

Dave

View my blog at www.thebear29uk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

gemini68

Post by gemini68 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:47 pm
Hi There

We are in the exact same position as you are.

We have been in an IVA for almost a year and our landlord indicated that he wanted to sell the house we have been renting for three years.

I contacted a couple of agencies and they either want you to pay six months upfront (who can do that?) or the normal six weeks deposit if you have a guarantor. My mum and dad offered to do that for us and we have just paid the six weeks deposit. I think if you are honest with the agencies, they are fine.

There are not many people now with perfect credit references!!!

Good luck

thebear29uk

Post by thebear29uk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:51 pm
Hi Gemini

Thanks for that. Its what I was hoping to hear. My parents are both retired and I think you have to be working to act as guarantor but my sister and brother-in-law have said they will do it for me.

Regards

Dave
Regards

Dave

gemini68

Post by gemini68 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:00 pm
Hi Dave

My parents are also both retired and it was a requirement that they owned their own home!

I found it surprisingly simple and the agents we used were very understanding and not at all bothered that we were in an IVA.

thebear29uk

Post by thebear29uk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:02 pm
Excellent news. Thank you.
Regards

Dave

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for july”