HELP. My brother is in the process of setting up an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

WASKE46

Post by WASKE46 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm
HELP. My brother is in the process of setting up an IVA. He has changed bank account from the Halifax to Santander. Unfortunatly his wages went into the Halifax
who have taken all his wage. Is this legal can they keep his wage and leave him with no cash.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:13 pm
Unfortunately, as he isn't yet in an IVA then they can take the money out of his account to.offset against their debt.

I would suggest he contacts them and explains things to them to see if they will refund the money.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:12 pm
I agree with Jan that it sounds like they have used their right to set off. I think there were guidelines around not causing financial hardship when setting off debt but can't quite remember. You could try googling 'right to set off' and 'financial hardship' to see what comes up.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:42 pm
Hi

They can but they are obliged to release funds for essential living expenses. He needs to go into Halifax and plead hardship [rent/mortgage payment, food, travel costs for work etc]

Regards
Andam Davies
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”