I am quite a trusting person, now worried by the stories I have heard about scam companies.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

Kez54

Post by Kez54 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:58 pm
Hi I myself am new to this forum and have decided a iva is my best option as a single parent to two young children. I am so worried and stressed with my debt and have been contacted by company creditfix who have been really helpful and seem genuine. I question is this to good to be true. I'm worried il be paying more and over a longer time in the 5 years they say. I have heard some stories about scam company's and I'm worried incase this is the case. I am quite a trusting person and I just want help in this matter. Has anyone used these and had a good experience.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:53 am
Credit fix are not a scam company and when they get their act together can be very good.

They are very erratic though.

They are also based in Scotland which does not exactly make them local.

Shop around, see if you can find a company local to you and is one that seems to offer a personal service.

Also ignore the headline sale stuff about reducing the amount you pay. Only ever go into an iva because you believe your debt is now unmanageable.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:15 am
Hi and welcome,

Take some advice from several companies - Andy Davie/Vincent Bond (details under the expert link on the left hand side of the page) will give you some free advice.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:14 am
An IVA is a fabulous tool in the fight against unaffordable debt, but it isn't right for everyone.

Whatever you do, make sure you speak to at least 2 or 3 organisations before you make any decision at all.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

ineeddebthelp

Post by ineeddebthelp » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:19 am
Also try some free sector companies like the Money Advice Service, Payplan, and StepChange.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am
Don't forget though that all IVA's have to be paid for so although the advice is free, the service isn't.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:10 am
Also Payplan can be really harsh in terms of how they assess household income plus they are delaying completion certificates in a risk adverse way.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:15 am
Agree - I found them good but then again we were both in an IVA so obviously all of the income was taken into account. We also managed to get our completion letters very shortly after we finished.
Bob Marley.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:19 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by ineeddebthelp

Also try some free sector companies like the Money Advice Service, Payplan, and StepChange.

Despite appearances to the contrary, these companies ( and a few others making overt claims to this effect)do charge fees in exactly the same way as all the others.

I would advise some research (reading through this board is a good start) and chatting to a few companies of your choice, rather than any that might mail shot you out of the blue, or appear in dubious pop up ad campaigns.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lilaclady2k

Post by lilaclady2k » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:14 am
Kez

I agree do your research first. That was my mistake,
I didn't realise how many companies and options there was until I stumbled across this wonderful forum by accident.

All I can say is you are one of the lucky ones and you have found this site where you can get good advice before you make any commitment.

I was even plugging the site in my recent counciling session. Incase some other person needed guidance and it's good to share knowledge.

Good luck x
life never seems to be the way we want it to be, but we live it the best we can . there is no perfect life but we can fill it with perfects moments.....

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:43 am
Hi Kez - I always recommend you speak to a local IP and arrange to have a free face to face meeting with them.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:05 pm
The Money Advice Service categorically will not give you any debt advice whatsoever, as they are not qualified to do so, nor is it in their remit. On the plus side however, they are completely free to use.

What they can do though is signpost towards an appropriate advice agency. It is vitally important to remember that only the individual concerned can make a decision about which way they decide to proceed in the end. It is a rare situation indeed where there isn't a choice of debt solutions, the key is to make sure that you are aware of what solutions there are, and the pros and cons of each.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”