It's over and done with!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
12 posts Page 1 of 1

Pap

Post by Pap » Mon May 18, 2015 2:43 pm
Hi

Started our iva's April 2009 and, because there was NR debt, they were agreed at 6 years, with the usual equity release 6 months before the end. 6 months before the end, just as we were getting valuations etc together we were passed on to Creditfix, and I have to be honest, weren't very happy about it.
Chased and chased CF to find out what was happening and then in April they contacted me to say I was in arrears. Turns out they closed the account I paid into before telling me so my payment had bounced back, and I never noticed (expensive car work).
Paid final outstanding amount on mine on 30 April and got my completion certificate out of the blue on 8 May. Hubby paid his final payment 1 April and we have come home today to find his completion certificate. IT IS OVER!!

I have to say that written communication from CF is generally poor but when you speak to a real person by and large they are helpful, friendly and happy to help.
Still not sure what happened about out equity, there's something in our letters about creditors agreeing to accept payments made in the 6 years as agreement satisfied but whatever happened, I am so relieved this is finished.

To people starting out or partway through their journey : keep with it, it will end and you will also feel this relief. I suffered terribly with depression and guilt/shame all the way through but now, looking back, I can see we did our absolute best to repay what we could afford each and every month.

Good luck to all of you and thank you for the support and guidance offered here - this has certainly helped me enormously. Even though I was never a big poster, I have been an avid reader throughout.

Px
May 2015 - Completed!!

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon May 18, 2015 2:45 pm
Very pleased for you Pap and glad you've received that certificate, enjoy your debt free future.

You certainly have done your best top repay what you could afford.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:18 pm
Congrats Pap! I remember you starting just before me.

Enjoy your debt free future!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm
Congratulations Pap -- great post :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 am
Great to hear its all done ...well done
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue May 19, 2015 11:02 am
Good post Pap and motivation for others on here. Good luck for the future - phew!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

mole

Post by mole » Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm
Very well done pap for seeing it through. 6 years is such a long time.

And WD CF on a speedy closure!!

Pap

Post by Pap » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm
Thank you :-)
Obviously we're over the moon but I have to admit to feeling a little bit scared at the same time, not sure if everyone feels a bit that way!

P x
May 2015 - Completed!!

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed May 20, 2015 3:29 am
We felt exactly the same and to a certain extent still do ... remember the budgeting skills learnt and to think "do i really need this" not "i really want this" ....
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

mole

Post by mole » Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 am
I am coming to the end of my term and I too have mixed thoughts. Although, I think they will dissipate once I have my CC. Still have a lurking feeling that something will crop up and scupper ruin everything.

As for learning my lesson.. well sort of... Having been deprived of everything for over 6 years, at the end I will have a huge blow out for a few months and then try to get back on track. I will apply for a Credit Card as soon as I can, but this will only be used in emergencies and always paid off. I have expensive tastes and that will not change, but I will save and buy them rather then use credit.

Just hope when the reigns of off, I don't go too crazy

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:33 pm
We haven't splurged since finishing. Said we would but when it came to it, didn't! Replaced essential items and we are saving for a holiday. Decided not to get a credit card to rebuild rating, will wait to get a mainstream one at higher apr once iva is off in a couple of months.

I still check the bank daily, still mentally add up shopping, still buy reduced items for the freezer. I am hoping that this doesn't change. We are in control of our finances now and I like that feeling. It was great having our P60s this month and not having to scan and email them! It's been great to be able to accept invitations from friends andfamily to go out to the pub / rrestaurants / theatre, making excuses was as awful as missing out on the adventures!

It was a long,hard 5 years and the experience isn't going to waste!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed May 20, 2015 5:50 pm
I haven't splurged, but have bought a few expensive items -- by saving and paying cash. My rationale is now, not to equate expense with bling or the latest fad or gadget, but to equate it with quality and something that will last.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”