Hi please help. Am I going to have to re-home my pup ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
14 posts Page 1 of 1

Chrissy.46

Post by Chrissy.46 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:24 pm
Hi I got approved an Iva a few weeks ago and my first payment was taken this month. I am now in a state as I made an assumption getting a dog for myself and my family wouldn't be a problem but now I'm panicking thinking they won't approve and my iva will be cancelled . As your not supposed to take holidays etc with spare cash as I'm lead to believe ! Please help am I going to have to rehome the pup?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:01 pm
Hi and welcome,

Why would yu have to do that? I had three dogs during my IVA and there was not a problem.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Grayson.sc

Post by Grayson.sc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 pm
Hello, not sure what you are basing your information on but we have had a dog throughout our iva and there is even an allowance for pets within the guidelines. I have also managed a couple of basic holidays although that does involve exceptional budgeting and overtime at work.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 pm
The only hitch here is that, if you enter the IVA with a pet the expenses of that pet are part of your agreed allowances ( within reason). However, if you decide to take on a pet once in the IVA, the creditors are unlikely to agree to fund it and you will simply have to fund it from your already agreed housekeeping allowance.

If you choose to eat Lidl beans instead of Heinz to pay for dog food, that is your choice and your IP needn't get involved.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:35 pm
We didn't have a dog at the start of our iva and had an allowance at our next annual review. It was fab, free exercises walking her and the perfect excuse why we were not taking holidays!

We did manage odd weekends away with careful budgeting and using clubcard points for meals out etc

watzki

Post by watzki » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:12 am
We got a dog during our iva and our ip added the pups expenses into our iva,it didn't reduce our payments but stopped them raising that year
Today 1st of December 2016 the vultures finally flew away

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 am
IP's do have some discretion -- but often refuse to use it (at least to the debtor's advantage). I have noticed a considerable "hardening" of attitudes over the last few years, primarily by the bigger firms with closer connections to the creditors.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 am
Must admit that we were allowed expenses for all of ours, including the insurance. I suppose we were very lucky there.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:32 am
I have to agree with the other posters and you have done nothing wrong. If you do not receive an allowance for pets you can add this in at the next review and while it is only £34 it would help. IVAs are not supposed to be punishments so you fine with the dog.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

MG12

Post by MG12 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:01 am
I got my doggie half way through my IVA.

I didn't ask IP for an allowance for him, just some careful budgeting.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 am
Dog food came out of our normal household budget but we were allowed insurance.

Then again this was back in 2008 when allowances were a lot more flexible.
Bob Marley.

Chrissy.46

Post by Chrissy.46 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 am
Thankyou very much for your replies I'm glad I won't have to give her up I was just panicking that they would have not approved. Do I mention it to my IP now or wait until a review is brought up ? Thanks

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:10 am
Personally, I would leave it until the review and see how you get on with the extra expenditure on your current allowances.
Bob Marley.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:14 am
We waited and then added to new I&E but we had her the end of May and our review was July. I had had an incremental rise in the April so it wasn't so tight for money.
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”