PPI again 4 years after completion

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2

Vinnie

Post by Vinnie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm
IVA completed 4 years ago. Today I received 6 copies of all the claim forms for grant thornton to claim my PPI letters and forms from Slater Hayward, x6 for gods sake what an efficient company they are, obviously look after the pennies in every bodies interest. The worst part being that 2 months ago when I received the third pile of forms I wrote to them advising I was moving house and under no circumstances were they to send any more to that address, so these have been opened by the new house owners, in order to return them to sender, by a fluke I found out they were there,how very very degrading is that. I am now going to seek legal advice as I find this disgusting. Not just the fact they have sent them for all and sundry to open and find out my business after I had advised them not to, but the fact they want any money due to me. Financial ombudsman here I come, call themselves solicitors very dubious that they are acting in a professional manner.
ITS OVER WE ARE FINALLY DEBT FREE, CERTIFICATE ARRIVED

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 pm
That is not good at all in my humble opinion. 4 years after completion, I was under the impression once the completion certificate was received that was it.

I would too seek legal advice as surely they can't keep hassling people this far on down the line unless it was agreed in your proposal.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 pm
I wouldn't be happy if they had used an old address and someone had opened that post.

Hope you get some answers and an apology.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:09 pm
Hi

Not good

If you have your completion certificate and are off the Insolvency Register then you have no need to comply

I would lodge an official complaint to GT

Regards
Andam Davies

Vinnie

Post by Vinnie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:03 am
Is there a GT representative on here, it's so long since I was on here for any length of time I am not up to date with who is on here any more. On the plus side I am getting a new car on Tuesday, first time I have been granted credit since completion, it's taken ages to get a clean sheet
ITS OVER WE ARE FINALLY DEBT FREE, CERTIFICATE ARRIVED

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:47 am
If you do get legal advice you will likely also be told it is a legal offence for someone to open post not addressed to them. The exception is the centre in Belfast that tries to return letters to people where they are opened to return to sender.

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/other ... 00355.html

There is a court case outcome penning about who is entitled to PPI after an IVA is completed, however in the interim you don't have to send any forms back or have any dealing with them as you have your completion certificate.

Let us know what legal reps say.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:03 am
Well done on the car front and unfortunately I don't think there is a GT rep on here anymore.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:42 am
GT have not put in any appearance since Karol changed roles. The last visit was over a year ago.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 pm
I suspect GT will probably say it was an administrative error but the new owners should not have opened your post.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:19 pm
Sometimes you have to open post to find out who to send it back to - if I hadn't recently I would not have found out that the tax and benefits people had someone registered here that we knew nothing about.

I don't always do it and 9 times out of 10 would either just tear it up or put back in the post.

With the way that GT/Apeture/Slater Hayward have been sending these out they have just not undertaken basic checks.

This would be a reportable incident by now in my area to the relevant ombudsman:(
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:23 pm
Must admit that we have always arranged for post redirection when we have moved so nothing should go back to the original address, otherwise I would just send it back 'not known at this address'.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:30 pm
Within the next couple of years it is pretty much agreed that there will be compulsory breach notification linked to DPA as a consequence of changes to EU legislation.

The ICO has stated:

"We also know there will be compulsory breach notification, both to affected individuals and to data protection authorities, though we don’t know yet whether all breaches or only high risk ones will have to be notified, nor whether notification will have to be within 24 hours, 72 hours or simply “without undue delay”."

My advice to IP's who are not directors or owners of companies that they work for is understand where the liabilities lie and who is responsible for the actions of staff.

The current maximum fine is £500k for a breach.

The option going forward is suggested to be 1% of turnover for the company or keep the current level of fine.

If you are both an IP and owner/director of the company you are likely to be liable irrespective.
Last edited by lifenoteasy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:32 am
We seem to be liable for everything else these days so may as well add something extra to the red tape mix!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 am
Don't agree with it and at one stage the ICO said they would never fine anyone. Unfortunately it seems to be pretty regular now and that's mainly because no-one believed they had to do anything to improve.

The Bank of Scotland was fined a couple of years ago http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23572574 and the use of fax is one of the single highest causes of fines being issued.

The lowest fine issued was £1k but that was only because the potential fine was so large it was going to force the company out of business (not quite correct - they ended up going out of business anyway).

IP's can do a lot to protect themselves but they have to understand what information they are directly responsible for which can be variable based on different scenarios.

You can see that approach in the way that I respond to questions on the board - situational based on identified circumstances and the reasons why you (people in IVA's and IP's/IVA companies) do something at any particular stage.

The single biggest mistake is to confuse why data is used.
Last edited by lifenoteasy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:16 pm
Lifenoteasy...... How come you are so clued up on data protection, I am in awe at your level of knowledge relating to it - do you work in that industry ?

The above does seem to suggest the original poster could complain to the firm (assuming they updated their address with them - but how long after no contact should you need to update your details ) and the ICO so that the firms do undertake these basic checks before sending sensitive data out.

I recently sent my update my credit file demand to all my creditors and the one I mentioned in an above post came back to me opened via the Belfast undelivered Centre, despite it having a return address on the back, i.e. If didn't need to be opened ! it wasn't delivered successfully by recorded mail, and nothing written on the envelope, so someone somewhere got a good look at a lot of personal information (IVA details completion certificate etc dates of agreement etc etc ) before returning it to me, I have complained to Royal Mail, but I think all they can say is oops sorry here is your £1.77 refunded, same delivery sent yesterday recorded assigned for this morning,,, most strange...
Last edited by longslog101 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”