Hi, I am currently in private rented accommodation. Can I obtain a mortgage in an IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Ian.wm

Post by Ian.wm » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 pm
Hi, I am currently in private rented accommodation costing £450.00 pm. I can get a mortgage for a lot less, the difference would go towards the IVA.

The question is, can I obtain a mortgage whilst in an IVA?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 am
Firstly you will need the permission of your IP.
You are unlikely to be offered a mortgage while your iva is ongoing and remains on your credit file.
Even if you were offered one where would the 15-25% deposit come from ?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 am
Hi and welcome

I think at the moment the answer will be no, however once your IVA concludes you should be able to secure a mortgage. Use a broker when you are ready to move forward

Regards
Andam Davies

Nutkins

Post by Nutkins » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 am
Hi! It's very difficult to obtain a mortgage from a high street lender post iva so it's extremely unlikely to be offered one whilst currently in the iva! Don't forget the conveyancing fees etc which the creditors would probably want paying into the iva pot if the funds are available! When calculating your mortgage repayment, please remember that should you be offered a mortgage the interest rate is likely to be somewhat higher than advertised and therefore you may be worse off than in rented!

sponge

Post by sponge » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 pm
You maybe thinking about interest only mortgages which yes do make very cheap rent, whilst interest rates are so low, although this won't last forever. These types of mortgages in practical terms have been canned by high st lender in favor of repayment type and for good reason

It's quite a frequent ask from new posters, so you are not alone in the asking, but whilst you have that IVA on your credit record, no one's going to lend you a pencil, just one of those things that are part and parcel of an IVA
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”