I have a joint account with my wife in my IVA. She is still being chased as main account holder.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Ryan.gr

Post by Ryan.gr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 pm
I have entered Barclaycard onto my IVA and have a joint account with my wife.She was the main account holder so she is still being chased although I still pay towards the Iva.How can I rectify this issue?

UpToMyNeckInIt

Post by UpToMyNeckInIt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 pm
Sorry to sound blunt, but you cannot do anything.

By the sounds of it this is a joint account. When one party enters the iva, the creditor is well within their rights to pursue the other for the full debt.

This is basic stuff and should have been explained to you by your iva company.

The same happens with joint overdrafts etc.
My opinions are just that: Based on my experience and being a self-employed IVA customer.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 am
I had joint debts with hubby which meant an IVA was best for me as I was told that I would become responsible for the debt if only he had one. I am surpised this wasn't explained. I would have thought if she was the main account holder that the debt to Barclaycard was her debt and that she was your creditor letting you use her account. It certainly is complicated!!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 am
I agree. You rarely see joint credit card accounts so this one possibly should not even be listed in your IVA as it may be your wife's sole liability.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”