Credit Card or loan to increase credit rating?!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Sharon2018

Post by Sharon2018 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:54 pm
Hi all, I'm hoping that a f&f settlement will soon complete my iva early but in the meantime the iva will remain on my credit file for another 4 years, I'm keen to get a mortgage after this and want to do my best to improve my credit score and demonstrate I've learnt my lessons. Is there anyone who would give me a credit card or a loan in the meantime? Not that I really need or want credit but I heard no credit is almost as bad as bad credit!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:15 pm
A credit history is better than a blank sheet, although some have (with luck or judgement, I cannot say which)jumped right back into mainstream lending with no issues.

Avoid payday companies like the plague.

The likes of Aqua and Vanquis seem to sometimes grant cards to newly completed IVA'er and sometimes not -- I think the moon's orbit comes into play here !!

Other than that keeping the bank account clean, paying utilities and mobile phone bills on time all help.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:05 pm
Your iva record on file even with a FF satified will be an unmoveable obstacle to your credit building efforts.

I wouldn't think about trying to increase 'some' of your credit rating with even the aqua credit cards.

On the Cr file part that saids court judgement, anything in there will cause big credit rating problems but lenders reaction would be uncertain as you have payment records.

Best really just to wait till the iva comes off six years after your iva was recorded with the insolvency service.

That is how the system works...I have 'served my iva time'.

sponge

Post by sponge » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:52 pm
Tzekin ha ha you sound just like me, I could have written your post myself, in fact I have so on many occasions.

As Tzekin suggests you'll have to wait till that IVA comes of your CR before any sort of normal lending can commence, no matter what you do.

Credit building whilst in an IVA pish pash, you've been sold down the river...Now good history, that's the goal!

Foggy on the other hand is a bit of an old die hard bout such fings!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:07 pm
Sponge. Please point out where in my post above I have gone wrong, in your learned opinion.

I know you keep harping back to a radio interview a couple of years ago by a CRA executive ... somewhat akin to a fox promoting chicken protection. But it is true that a good history is better than no history.

Payday companies are bad news on a credit file.

Aqua and Vanquis DO sometimes accept and DO sometimes refuse applications. I am not promoting them, just stating a fact.

And "green ticks" do help.

And who mentioned "credit building whilst in an IVA" ? Oh Yes ..... YOU.
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:42 pm
Small amounts of credit paid off in a timely manner will all help. Catalogues etc are often more willing to lend but the iva will blacken that report card for the full 6 years (from when the iva started).

Be wary of vanquis etc as they will soon up your credit rating.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 pm
How about a little mobile phone contract? IIRC they help as well.

sponge

Post by sponge » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:06 pm
Def on the side of considered judgment. It was the director head of Experian, but that was about getting a mortgage one way or another.
I said there's no credit building to be done in an IVA, as post IVA it's already done, and that's by way of good history whilst in an IVA. If you remember my strap line "no credit required"

To that end the brokers obtain mortgages with regularity, for NEW (key word) ex-iva-ers, who have no credit history to speak of. Foggy where do you think they get those mortgages from, the secret sect of sympathetic IVA lenders, come on! It's just regular high st lenders. Remember what the brokers on the forum require to kick off with, that your CR must be clear of all trace of your IVA and defaults, just what a Hi St lender will need...odd that really!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 pm
To a certain extent, sponge, there is "the secret sect of sympathetic IVA lenders" --- in that the brokers know from experience which high street lenders will absolutely refuse if they get wind of the IVA, which might be swayed, and which might not ask.

Yes, wandering into the local high street branch might get a mortgage offer right away --- walk into the wrong one gets you a search recorded on that clean file --- walk into another tnad they will surmise the search resulted in a refusal and will think about it a bit harder -- try a third or a fourth and your chances go down the toilet.

To be blunt -- I do not give a fig about what the Experian fox selling chicken protection said. I have first hand experience of dealing with lenders ( albeit a couple of decades ago, and I accept that things do change )in the capacity of a criminal investigator and that experience would lead ME to tread carefully when replying to any onerous questions on a mortgage application -- what others do is, of course, down to their own moral compass.

I fear we will always be at loggerheads on this thorny subject, Sponge, so I will say no more as it is getting a mite tedious.

If we ever meet I shall still buy you a pint :-)

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:59 am
Lenders do have a lending policy and best to know what it saids when applying for home loan after an iva.

It is 'no secret' which banks/building societies do lend, I think brokers tend not to be too open on this? Mmmmm.The choice is limited...but later on it improves.

Yes,most of these 'post iva loans' are high street stuff now.So don't be afraid of rejection by going direct.

There really is no such thing anymore as a 'near prime' or post iva or bad credit mortgage from the high street lenders akin to a basic bank account for bad credit.
Many home builders won't accept them.

I wouldn't like to see Wongers getting into that...imaging the interest rate!

However,if the Banking loan crises did not happen then post iva mortgages in the UK would have been more available.Above a subprime level and there would be no drama on the lending situation.
Last edited by TzeKin on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sponge

Post by sponge » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm
No worry I want bang on it either and thanks for the pint!
Tzekin
I can tell which lend just POST IVA, we'll start with about none and then work downwards. By that I mean under my particular lender's "new rules" even to obatin IVA during the mortgage term, they now have the right to make you sell your property....ohhh
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”