Because of poor health I will struggle to remortgage. Worried about losing my home

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Barbara.05

Post by Barbara.05 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:14 pm
I have just come to the end of my fifth year in an IVA, there is probably some equity in my house no more than £20,000 but the home is jointly owned with my son who does not live here, is it correct that his equity will not be touched? Also because of poor health I have had to reduce my working hours to part time so feel I will struggle to remortgage (I am 63 years old), I just need to know if I will lose my home as if I have to pay for another year the payments will be considerably reduced. My IVA company are not very helpful.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:53 pm
Your son's share is safe. I think that you could perhaps ask your IP to ask creditors to accept payments to date to close the iva if you have rreduced your hours due to ill health. Who are you with?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:38 pm
Hi Barbara -- the equity level should only be based upon your share (presumably half). Most (if not all) fail to remortgage and, as long as that is what is in the agreement, get an extension. You should have already advised your IP of your reduced income in case a reduction in payment can be agreed right away. Be mindful though, that you need to keep up an acceptable level of payment.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:23 am
Sounds like a straightforward case to be closed down so I hope you have a good firm working for you.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

barbaraf

Post by barbaraf » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:18 pm
Thank you for your reassurance, I haven't been able to talk to my IP even though I have phoned several times, he is never in the office (I'm with cleardebt) so even though my pay was reduced in March I have carried on paying the full amount which has been a struggle. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 a year after starting my IVA and am still being treated, I am tired and would dearly like to retire but can't until I know this IVA has finished. If I provided medical evidence of my ill health is there the slightest chance my case would be closed

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 am
Creditors are usually sympathetic to illness and I would expect them to close this down. You have paid enough and I am sure Cleardebt can help.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”