Wondering if it's legal to leave large owing from over earning until our IVA was nearly finished.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Johndd5

Post by Johndd5 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 pm
My wife and myself are in the last few months of our IVA, and my IVA Company says we owe them £10,000 from over earning from 2009to2014. They didn't tell us at the time but waited till sept2014 when our IVA was nearly finished. Just wondered if this was legal for them to wait till near the end and ask for, what is more than half the debt we owed. Thanks for any help you can give me
Cheers now

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:54 pm
Who are you with? Did you get reports after your annual reviews and did these mention arrears?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 pm
Hi. If you earned extra during the IVA they are entitled to the money as you agreed to pay it. Yes, it was remiss of them not to tell you sooner, for which they bear some fault. However, it is your responsibility to make the extra payments as and when they occur, which you have failed to do.

I am, of course, assuming that you agree this money was earned and the agreed portion not paid over as per the terms of the arrangement (usually 50% of the extra earnings). If not, this has to be sorted first.

Being "half a dozen of one and six of the other" and fault on both sides, your firm should work with you to help you pay this amount, possibly by extending the IVA.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Christabelle_sparkle

Post by Christabelle_sparkle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:51 pm
Who are you with John?
If you dont mind me asking?
:)
An IVA is a long hard road but valuable lessons have been learnt along the way. Now looking forward to enjoying a debt free future!

Johndd5

Post by Johndd5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 pm
Freeman Jones and didn't mention arrears not until the last 3 months

Johndd5

Post by Johndd5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:59 pm
Wouldn't advise anyone to go with them. When they said we owed them £10,000 (which was more than half of what we owed when we took IVA out 5 years ago) they said it won't be like your IVA we'll want it back over 9 or 10 months not 5 years you can aford it........!!!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:42 pm
I know it doesn't sound like it, but they are being helpful ( in the circumstances). There are some firms out there that would want it in a lump or fail the IVA !!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:37 am
Pretty poor to wait until near the end to mention it though. Have you had regular reviews carried out throughout the iva?

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Johndd5

Post by Johndd5 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:59 am
Didn't have reviews, and kept asking for wage slips that we had already sent in and they had "Misplaced"

Sarah Jolly

Post by Sarah Jolly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am
Dear Johndd5

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your IVA.

We do contact clients to try to complete a review of income every six months and a full review on the anniversary of the arrangement. Clearly if anything changes in between these reviews we will also complete a review of current circumstances. Between reviews we also ask clients to keep us up to date – for example by sending in pay slips each month.

Additional monies are calculated at each review and confirmed both over the telephone and also in the annual report that is issued shortly after the review takes place. If we have been unable to complete the review the annual report is still issued to both our client and their creditors as the terms of your IVA require us to do so.

I am concerned to read your comments about not having completed any reviews and your missing wage slips.

You are welcome to contact me directly so I can look into this for you and get in touch, my email address is Sarah.Jolly@FreemanJones.co.uk.

Thank you
Sarah
Sarah Jolly IMA CMAP - A member of the IVA team at Freeman Jones

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:14 am
Hi

Take Sarah up on her offer to help

A proportion of any extra earnings are due to be paid into the IVA but this should be calculated at the annual review each year

Regards
Andam Davies
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”