MOT.......Bricking it!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Cariadqueen

Post by Cariadqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:44 pm
Nearly two years into our IVA now and remember feeling the same this time last year....Petrified knowing that the MOT is fast approaching!

Me and my husband own 'two old bangers' his being the first to go under the roving eye of the garage on friday. His car is about 20 years old now and last year just needing a little welding underneath, but who knows what this year will bring.

Mine is due early November....Great timing with Christmas being on our doorsteps too!

Just a rant really as if we get a hefty bill i have no idea how we are going to pay :(

Anyone else feel the same when MOT time comes around?!
25 months down.....We will be debt free!

Dougie

Post by Dougie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:08 pm
Good luck, know the feeling.

If your hubbies passes you could get yours done early, more time to work out what to do then!
IVA Accepted - Sep 2009
F&F Accepted - Oct 2014
CC Received - Jul 2015

Cariadqueen

Post by Cariadqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:59 pm
Thanks Dougie, not a very nice feeling is it!

That's the plan, all being good and by some small miracle his car passes im going to put mine in within a week or so to see where i stand!

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:37 pm
We took payment breaks and made reduced payments to cover car expenses which were repaid monthly and at the end of our iva. It is stressful, call your company before hand. We arranged to cancel payment and send invoice and remainder of payment once repairs were done.

Cariadqueen

Post by Cariadqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:03 pm
Thanks Relieved

We are with a really good IVA firm so im sure if we run into any sort of trouble my IP will do her best to sort things out for us, The one good thing i suppose is not having to resort to credit cards!

Til

Post by Til » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:16 pm
Hi Cariadqueen - I so know how you feel! Our cars are both 12 years old and I dread MOT time - however over the years I have found a godsend is our local council MOT depot (They test council vehicles but by law have to accept members of the public too).

They have no interest in failing your car if they can help it (as they only do tests and don't do any work) and amazingly our cars have all passed without incident for the last 4 years in a row! (And I admit I don't look after them as well as I should so it's a miracle I think lol).

You can find good MOT tips here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

But also you can look up your local council MOT centre here:
http://www.ukmot.com/mot%20test/Council ... enters.asp

We are 1 payment away from the end now but I will never ever take my car to anywhere else for it's MOT now. It's one of the best things I found out about whilst in an IVA :) x
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Cariadqueen

Post by Cariadqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:22 pm
That is really helpful Til thank you!

I will certainly mention this to hubby as im extremely weary of garages or any other trades person for that matter, i know it sounds bad but i have been ripped off in the past!

Well done on getting to the end of your IVA, it seems like we still have a long old slog to go but i know we did the right thing and although i moan at times i know in the end it will be so worth it :)

xx

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:31 pm
Hi Cariad :-) Phew -- has it been 21 months already ?

My garage is pretty good with MOT's and will deal with anything little there and then, usually so far at no charge ( things like bulbs and headlight alignement.

Last year I was told "the rear number plate light goes out when you tap it" .... I said "Well, stop bl**dy tapping it then!" It passed and it still works :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Cariadqueen

Post by Cariadqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 pm
It certainly has Foggy, lets hope the next 21 months whizz by too!

We have used the same garage for a good few years now and we have a fair bit of work done but i think thats mainly because both cars are basically antiques!

I have a dodgy front light, have to give it a tap every so often and it springs back into life! Lets hope it behaves MOT day!

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 pm
As I work in a College I use the motor vehicle department for servicing (only pay for materials) and it's all supervised or used as demonstration. If there's one near you it's worth asking.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”