Letter from McDuffy

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Just wondering if anyone else with the above (more or less marvellous company) have had a letter re: PPI payments and needing to sign declaration (and get it counter signed) to say that you agree to complying with ongoing process of PPI payment miss-selling to ensure that your completion certificate is issued?

I am not disagreeing with the sentiment however as far as I am aware all of the PPI issues surrounding my IVA (and even those not subject to it) have been dealt with (by the not so marvellous EIF).

Just the whole thing of having the letter counter signed (not by a relative) when the company have dealt with you without a hitch in nearly 5 years is bringing back very bad memories of starting off the old IVA process all those years ago.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same letter really.

Til

Post by Til » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm
If it helps I've just had to get our same declaration (deed of assignment) with DFD countersigned for the same PPI reason. All our PPI is done but the deed means should any more crop up (it won't but I suppose the creditors won't accept our word) then it will go to the pot even after our IVA is concluded.

In this way DFD can start closing our IVA and PPI won't slow it down.

Luckily I had a friend who is also in an IVA so she witnessed ours as the form page for signing had "debtors signature" on it which meant it wasn't easy to find someone to witness if you hadn't told friends about your IVA.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:22 pm
Thanks Til, that is the main worry for me to be honest (I know it sounds stupid) but only my brother and sister know about the IVA and I want no one at work to know about it for obvious reasons. That, believe it or not, was the main stress during setting up the whole IVA for me, having to get someone to independently witness me signing the forms.

sosilly

Post by sosilly » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 pm
After only recently been accepted for an IVA it is early days for us, I am not aware of what happens re claiming for PPI, we are also with Mccambridge Duffy. When in the IVA process does claiming for PPI normally start? What is involved? Who can you get to sign the declaration as no one is aware of our IVA. Thanks x

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:49 pm
I would hope that your ppi will be sorted within the 5 years of your Iva!

I think it's highlighted now as a problem as it's so new.

sosilly

Post by sosilly » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:54 pm
Thanks relieved, do you mean the fact that someone has to witness the declaration is now highlighted as a problem. Is this a new process having to have it countersigned

Thanks x

Til

Post by Til » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:04 pm
Perhaps if you can it might be worth asking a local solicitor to act as witness for you at a small fee? I totally know how you feel about not wanting people to know and think that if I had not had my friend to sign I would have tried ringing a few local solicitors? I know a while back I took a relative to a solicitor to sign a paper and they only charged £5 so worth asking around maybe?
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:02 am
Sorry if any of this is causing stress for our clients. However the deed of assignment does allow us to close cases as soon as the last payment has been made and it does need witnessed. Til's idea is a good one or a postmaster can witness the signature and in either case if there is a fee involved get a receipt and reduce your next payment by the equivalent amount.

Gettingthere. Thank you for comments and hopefully the next six months goes past quickly. Don't let the PPI letter spoil the fact that you are almost debt free with your name off the IVA register. Other firms have been keeping people in IVAs for years while they reclaim the PPI but we prefer the deed of assignment approach. You are right that the claims have probably been dealt with by now anyway but the deed is standard just in case anything else comes out of the woodwork.

Sosilly. As a new client the PPI issue will be looked at and resolved long before your IVA has completed and starts pretty soon after approval. There may be no need to get you to sign a deed when your IVA is over as all the issues will have been addressed by then.

I hope this helps but any queries and please feel free to call the office or contact me directly.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:25 pm
Thanks Michael and I fully understand the reasoning behind it.

mole

Post by mole » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:18 pm
Frankly Michael, this deed of assignment is poor, I have fully complied with the PPI investigation, agreed to home visits, access to credit files, etc. After near 2 years I have been told there is no PPI. Yet they still want me to sign this.

People want to move on, they do not want to be worry in 2 years time by a company looking into their business.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 am
I assume Mole you are one of our clients and if you are not happy please feel free to contact me directly and I will see if I can help.

I am very surprised that your file has not been closed yet as I know other firms can take years to close files but we do it as quickly as possible. That is the main reason for the deed of assignment as it allows us to issue certificates and remove clients from the insolvency register.

Please give me a call as I am genuinely surprised at this and will do what I can to get it resolved.
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 am
I say what a sensible approach from McD, plus getting a witness to signature and reimbursing client too for any payment, got to be more than fair.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 am
Michael I believe Mole is with Cleardebt not McD (according to previous postings).
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am
Thanks Lesley for that. I am wondering then why he said 'This deed of assigment is poor' when he is not one of our clients and would never have received one! His gripe must be with his own IP but anyone reading this would be entitled to assume it is us he is displeased with.

I am glad this has been cleared up and thanks again Lesley.

Til

Post by Til » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:22 am
I have to say I don't think the deed of assignment (if done with any firm as we are with DFD) is unfair. I'm happy to sign away any future rights to something that I don't have a right to anyway! Especially in order to get a swifter closure. Yes they can be tricky to get signed but it's a small price to pay in my opinion and I think firms using the deed of assignment method are far fairer than those who keep clients locked into IVA's for months and sometimes years longer than needed.

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”