My daughter seems to have been charged a large amount of fees. Should we complain ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
15 posts Page 1 of 1

Daviddg87

Post by Daviddg87 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:52 pm
Hi My daughter is in an IVA (5years payments) and her company has just extended for another 12 months she asked me to have a look at the terms and i showed my accountant. he tried to speak to the supervisor but they go really shitty. from what we can work out from payments made and actual payments to creditors the supervisor has charged 7k in fees... which seems a large amount for only 20k original debt. should we complain to the insolvency service or put it back to the court.

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:59 pm
The creditors will have agreed fees at that level. Your daughter pays no more than her disposable income anyway. Her payments will not be reduced so I am unsure what you can do anyway.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:21 pm
Fees qare as agreed at the outset in the document your daughter signed. The fee structure these days is usually in the order of £1500 - £2000 nominees fee ( for preparing the proposal, and 15% of the payments made after acceptance. Some firms charge more, but this, also, would have been agreed at the outset.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 pm
Hi

As others have stated all fees are agreed and authorised by the creditors in the IVA. Payments into a monthly IVA will be the same regardless of the fees agreed

Regards
Andam Davies

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:59 am
I am sure you and your accountant would have been aggrieved if a third party rang up and questioned your fees! If you want to help your daughter you could settle her IVA instead of casting aspersions against the professionals who have sorted out her debt problems.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:12 am
Michael ... I personally feel your last comment is a little harsh and unnecessary on the OP .. not sure any aspersions were being cast, just parental care and wanting to ensure his daughter was being treated with fairness.

Daviddg87 ... your daughter will have had an explanation of the fees at the outset of her iva and as others have explained they are fair with regards to the work that our IPs do to enable us to become debt free. Although your daughters level of debt was only £20k the fees are the same for someone with double the debt.
If your daughter had not entered into her iva the interest on her debt would have continued and she possibly could have landed up paying minimum payments each month and never becoming debt free.
Her iva will allow her to become debt free and be able to start again.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

dawn20

Post by dawn20 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:18 am
I agree that ips and companies should have fees but when your head is in the shed when you apply for an iva you only get to see thepaper work when you sign in my case it was £7,000 and that does not include the cuts from the ppi claims so in total I paid the iva company and its eif partner a very huge slice of thr monies paid into my iva ie original debt £27,000 which I paod back at £338 a month plus £14,000 ppi claimed but to my surprise only 66% of the amount went to the creidtors there as far as I was concerned too much out goings to the iva company ie 44% when I asked about this at the end of my iva I hit A BRICK WALL

dawn20

Post by dawn20 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 am
SORRY MADE MISTAKE SHOULD SAY 34% I WOULS HAVE LIKED TO HAVE PAID OFF MY DEBT BUT IT AS I SEE IT WAS A MONEY PIT WITH OVER £35,000 PAID IN I REALLY THOURHT THAT I WOULD PAID IT ALL BACK ONCE PPI CAME OUT BUT I REALISE NOW IT WAS JUST ANOTHER MONEY SIPHONING EXCERCISE BY THE IVA COMPANY AND EIF WERE MY CREDITORS REALLY AWARE OF THIS!!!!!!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:31 am
Hi Dawn. Yes, your creditors were aware of the fee structure. In many cases they are the ones who impose it on the IP.

For instance, when my IVA was proposed the IP put a set figure in for fees. At the meeting this was amended by the creditors to a percentage (15%) of monies paid in. This, I believe, is a ploy by the creditors to make the IP try harder to collect more.

Personally, I don't care what the fees are --- the creditors are happy with them and I have the protection of the IVA. In the end, with interest and charges suspended, I paid a lot less than I would have done without the iVA.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:04 pm
Insolvency practioners are accountants by profession...bet 'you' didn't known that.You can't just train exclusively to be an IP They have powers like HMI revenue which is they talk and everyone listens.

The IVAers do not pay iva cost fees.Just how are debtors paying their fees?The debt and fees add up to less than what is been paid back in 98% of cases.Debtors are not invoiced for services rendered.
What the IP keeps as fees is the debt % as approved by creditors.

Why are people worries about fees.You not paying it.

just like...CCCs dmp plans are advertised as Free.....but we know they keep a % of the debt payments for channelling payments as 'fees'.

Some dmp firms charge for managing the debts for debtors by proxy now that dmp service isn't free.

Simple....we don't pay in the legal sense.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am
We paid a lot less each month once in an IVA than we did trying to pay all of our creditors, so the fees the IP were paid were a fair amount.
Once in an IVA the worries were gone and we knew we only had 5 years till we were debt free, what price can you put on that.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 am
carole totally agree, the IVA took away all of my worries and I knew at the end I was working towards a debt free future.

Fees as others have said are agreed at the outset and creditors would have agreed or amended these at meeting time.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 am
Hi

Some good points

There is no point worrying too much about fees if you are paying a monthly IVA

Regards
Andam Davies

JJSIDE

Post by JJSIDE » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:19 am
IP's are in business to maximise their profits and as long as they act within the law they can charge what they like and do! But to the person paying into the IVA it is immaterial what they charge in fees, it doesn't change or affect what you pay each month. In my IVA the IP took nearly 30k in fees, which I thought was totally immoral but it was agreed by the Creditors and the Creditors were paid the exact percentage of the original debt staed in the original proposal.
If nothing changes, nothing changes!

TzeKin

Post by TzeKin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 am
Xtra Charges can be bolted on iva fees..If extra times are spent in managing the iva...running into 7 years,admendments etc.
If the iva runs like clockwork in the 5 years then no extras.In theory a quick FF settled iva should cost less to run.

The rates are regulated like conveyancing or accounting charges so it is within the profession.
And no Ips do not charge what they like.Regulation exist and costed out as accountants do.

You can see how much less the creditors actually get back in most cases.

20K debt..If down to a 50% payback schedule as an illustration..minus 7K in normal 5 year runtime...

3K??
Last edited by TzeKin on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”