Can Spouse gain credit

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

PaoloDiCanio

Post by PaoloDiCanio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:40 pm
I'm 4/5s of the way through my IVA, and my wife is wondering whether she would be able to get a credit card for herself?

Her credit rating is rated as good by Experian, but the only thing that I can see that will stop her is my name as a linked address on her credit file.

Has anyone's spouse managed to gain credit in a situation like this and if so who with.

Thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:54 pm
They are no longer ( usually) worried by an address association, but if you share any accounts at all there will be a financial association.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

PaoloDiCanio

Post by PaoloDiCanio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:05 pm
Hi Foggy, thanks for the quick reply.

I can see on her credit file that we have a financial association via a joint bank overdraft.

Is this going to make it very hard for her to get credit?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 pm
It could do -- but she could apply to a company like Vanquis (higher interest though). Don't make too many applications over a short period of time as this, in itself, will stain her record.
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

longroad2freedom

Post by longroad2freedom » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:11 pm
I am in my final sixth year and my wife is trying to improve her credit rating and has taken a capital one card out which she uses for petrol but pays off IN FULL every month.

She has applied and been accepted, if she wishes to go ahead, for a car loan with the local credit union, who i have to say are a fantastic way to try to start saving and have a common sense approach when it comes to lending.

i hope this helps

PaoloDiCanio

Post by PaoloDiCanio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 pm
Thanks for this info. Did your wife have bad credit or was it you affecting it?

My wife has an Experian Credit score of 950 and after looking on Money Saving Expert went for a card that she should get on there advice tool. Think it gave her an 80% chance of getting it.

Did your wife go with one of the Capital One cards for people with bad credit?

hubert

Post by hubert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:22 am
My wife got a virgin credit card whilst i am in an IVA.

She had a financial connection and recent default on joint overdraft recorded. The overdraft was included in my Iva hence we paid nothing off it during proposal and both got defaults recorded.

And Virgin were one of my creditors and they voted against the proposal!

Frankly I was amazed they gave her a credit card but they did.

This all happened in the same year.
One pay-cheque away from oblivion!

longroad2freedom

Post by longroad2freedom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:23 am
My wife hadnt taken any credit at all but was associated with me because of our joint bank account, and yes she took the capital One bank credit card out for people with bad credit. As long as you pay it off every month, which we are VERY strict on it is fine.

I have noted that they are up to their old tricks again by increasing the limit on the card, but we never use it to the extent where we cannot pay it off in full every month as we have been to that place before and are not going there again.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”