Surely PPI money should be deducted from the total ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Peter.n

Post by Peter.n » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 pm
I am currently in an IVA, PPI totaling approx £12,000 recovered, but I'm told this will not reduce IVA term. I surely agreed a contract in court to repay a set amount surely the PPI money should be deducted from that total especially as the companies I am repaying took it from me illegally in the first place.

bridgey

Post by bridgey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:59 pm
The original contract would have been a certain pence in the pound (20p, 50p, 75p etc) repayment - based on a certain term, usually 60 months. So;

Debt - £10K
Repayment - £5K
Pence in the pound - 50p (or 50% repaid)

If a PPI payment is received, it will just increase the amount you repay to Creditors.

If the PPI payment takes you over 100% of the debt, plus fees, the IVA should end.

That ^^ is my interpretation, anyway...
Half the lies you tell aint true

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:45 pm
Hi

Good answer from Bridgey

Extra monies received just mean that creditors receive a larger dividend

You still owe your whole original debt going into an IVA, it is only at the end that any unpaid debt is written off

Regards
Andam Davies

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 pm
The object of an IVA is not to pay a set amount, rather to pay as much as is affordable over the term, according to the agreed terms and conditions. Those terms and conditions allow for the payment of extra funds ( overtime, bonus payments, windfalls and assets)to increase the repayment to creditors.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”