Stepchange guidelines 2014

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

ilikewatch

Post by ilikewatch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 am
Having always thought that the stepchange guidelines were not available for public consumption I was surprised to see the following publically searchable and available to download as a .pdf :

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 7l_aUNTG8A

Can anyone confirm if these are correct?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 am
They look to be the ones -- they do pop up when someone has uploaded them, but not every year
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:16 pm
I found these new guidelines very interesting to say the least.

The availability of these guidelines, and those of the Common Financial Statement, to the general public is another issue though. I wonder what actual search term or phrase was used to find them, and I also wonder if StepChange know that they are publicly available, and if so will they look to close the loophole?

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

mole

Post by mole » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:42 pm
You have to laugh, in the introduction they said, " A maintainable budget will place clients in a better position to make regular payments back to creditors".

They then go on to demonstrate an annual RPI increase in almost every expenditure category, but then go on to say that this is not important and no need to adjust the 2013 figures.

Also, I have never understand the clothing allowance, £25 single and £40 couple. Is the second adult expected to wear the other ones clothes?

urbanfox

Post by urbanfox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:05 pm
I noticed also Mole that although there is positive inflation on most expenses (7% increase on clothing) they decided not to increase the allowances deeming it not important but fuel costs show a negative inflation (-2.7%) so the maximum limit has been reduced. That's fair???
IVA started Jan 2012
Last payment made June 2014 @100p
Completion certificate received Sept 2014

ilikewatch

Post by ilikewatch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:37 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by size5

I wonder what actual search term or phrase was used to find them, and I also wonder if StepChange know that they are publicly available, and if so will they look to close the loophole?

Regards.
Search term on google.co.uk was "stepchange guidelines 2014" (no quotes) this is the 6th result...
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

ilikewatch

Post by ilikewatch » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Interesting that Stepchange don't protectively mark (or watermark) the document if they don't wish it to be shared publicly.

I'm a civil servant, and if I don't want a document to be shared the first thing I do is mark it restricted or secret etc. depending on sensitivity...

MikeyM

Post by MikeyM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:41 pm
Well of course stepchange is funded by the banks so what else would you expect. I wonder whether the people who draw up these things actually licve in the real world.

FormerlyST1100

Post by FormerlyST1100 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm
I am in my final year with Stepchange and have found them to be quite amenable to additional costs to those shown in their guide as long as you have evidence to support it.
My fuel costs and car repairs are higher but I could show evidence of my car needing more repairs due to being unreliable and thirsty on fuel to a point that even though I had a wage rise last year they did not increase my payments.

Also they have not hounded me regarding PPI, just left it to me to claim and pay it to them, letting me keep some for car repairs.

doritos

Post by doritos » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 pm
The figures are still laughable if you live in London.

Very handy to have though
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”