Mental health issues and debt

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

ivamess

Post by ivamess » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:12 pm
I feel I need to make this post as someone who has "mental health issues" according to the so-called neurotypical world because I have autism, and, hopefully to bring this issue to the attention of others.

It is a well known fact that people with mental health issues are over-represented in the debtor community. This can include issues such as, and not excluding, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, dementia and many others.

Of late there have been a few people posting unpleasant and accusatory posts or jokes which may not be perceived as such.

Please remember that you are lucky that, at the moment, you do not have any mental health issues. However, your posts can be seen as very upsetting to people that do. Given the fact that we are over-represented in this community of debt it stands to reason that barbed comments or jokes can be seen by some to be upsetting.

It can also mean, for someone with depression and debt issues, that they are driven over the edge.

Therefore, I urge people who find a compulsion to either judge others or to make jokes at their expense to try to realise that others come from a different perspective.

I came here because I thought it was a supportive community. Let's please keep it that way and not judge others for how they feel or make jokes at their expense. None of us knows what is in the other person's life or who they are, or what is about to drive them over the edge.

Rant over. Tomorrow is another day.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:27 pm
Regardless of mental health issues, if a poster is upset over something, whatever it is, then they are upset .. end of story.

There are posts on here where people worry about things that do not worry me, and, I imagine, some of my worries are seen as insignificant to others. But, at the end of the day, to the poster, they are genuine worries.

To be honest we have had posters here worry about the smallest detail, but, to them it is a big deal and they come here for support which, I hope, they get. NOT to be ridiculed.

That said, I often make humourous remarks (well, I hope they are) and apologise if I have ever upset anyone.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

recovering

Post by recovering » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 pm
I feel for you, i know i have anxious times and feel like i get the support i need on here, let's hope what seems like sniping stops and we can face the ex PJG future together! Be strong IVAmess
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”