5 years completed, is it permissible to pay off IVA with a lump sum ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Al.58

Post by Al.58 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:55 pm
I have an Iva that was due to end last month (5 years). I was asked earlier in the year to apply for an equity release on our property which we were not successful with. The Iva company have now told us that we have to continue paying for a further year. Is this right? If a family member was to lend me the money to pay this off in a lump sum is this permissible ?

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:00 pm
Hi Al58- Yes this sounds right depepending on the terms of your IVA. Most will state the property to be revalued at year 5 and if certain level of equity appears to be available then that equity needs to be realised one way or another for your creditors. I recommend you check your IVA terms in this respect. There is always an option for your family member to offer a lump sum contribution to settle the IVA early. You may even find that creditors will agree less if it means they receive their dividend a year earlier than expected. God Luck.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:31 pm
Check the terms in your paperwork ( they do vary). What level of equity did you have ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”