How can my son get his money out of an account in my name but which I didn't use ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Sheila.01

Post by Sheila.01 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:51 pm
I have just started an I'va program, my son has been using an acct for years that was in my name but he only wanted to borrow it so he could pay insurance money in for car then a direct debit set up for that sole purpose, he has been doing this for a while as I didn't use the account, and it was easy for him to do this so he didn't spend the money. Now he is not able to get the money out, pay in or transfer it over, how can he get the money out.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:11 am
Welcome to the forum. I would put it in writing to your bank and seek their support however if you owe the bank money through other accounts or on a credit card you may find they will not allow this.

Has your son now opened an account in his own name? If not he should as he needs to be seen to be unlinked financially with you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 am
Unfortunately the money will have been seen as yours and the bank will regard it as an issue between you and your son.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:49 am
Hi Sheila. Which bank is this ?

Some banks just do not like IVA's and will freeze then close accounts, but will refund the monies. Others will re-open the account as a basic account.

If the bank is one of your creditors they might have offset the money against your debt. As said above, they will regard the money as yours.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Sheila.01

Post by Sheila.01 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 pm
Hi thanks for feedback, the bank is Halifax.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”