Wondering if it is a viable option to move in with boyfriend ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

nellee

Post by nellee » Tue May 12, 2015 9:33 am
I am in an IVA, if I move in with my boyfriend with my daughter would he be allowed to charge me rent etc as far as the IVA is concerned or would he only be allowed to charge me for half of the gas, electric, council tax etc? Trying to work out whether its a viable option as I would have to buy a car to get to work/school as he lives in a rural location without a bus service. Thanks

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 12, 2015 9:55 am
To be honest, it would be far easier if he took you in as a "lodger" and charged you the going rate. In any case, you do need to keep all of your finances apart ( nothing in joint names) or your IVA will stain his credit record.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue May 12, 2015 9:56 am
Hi - it is reasonable for you to have to pay a charge to be able to live somewhere, even if that is a payment to your boyfriend. I would speak to your IP about what sum they feel is reasonable. They will compare it to your original expenditure form. Are you currently paying rent where you live? If you move how will your new payments compare to those listed in your original expenditure? Will you still be able to make your IVA contributions?
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue May 12, 2015 9:59 am
Hi

Your IP may want to see joint income and expenditure details if you move in, your partner will not have to contribute to your IVA payments. If however your partner doesn't want to provide this then you could just contribute 50% of all living costs. You need to chat with your IP to see how they will work out your new disposable income. Also chat about having to pay for car costs

One thing for sure is to not put your life on hold because of your IVA

Good luck
Andam Davies
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”