Defaults not recorded on credit file

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:50 pm
Anyone know what happens with an account which is included in your IVA but hasn`t been defaulted on your credit file?

I had a current account overdraft with Halifax which shows on my credit file as last updated 2/1/11 (five months after the start of my IVA), and still showing the original amount owing which has not been defaulted.

Every other debt on my file is defaulted on or around the start date of my IVA and has an ever decreasing amount owing with every updated entry by the respective creditor.

Should I write to Halifax and request that they default this account, and from the start date of my IVA?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:33 pm
First of all I would write to the CRA and see what they suggest. I assume the O/D was included in the IVA, so should have been defaulted.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:42 pm
Seems like Halifax are going to be awkward with this.

I contacted Experian as you suggested Foggy and Experian stated that the account should have been closed or defaulted from the start date of my IVA,

Experian contacted Halifax and they refused to update the credit file entry stating that I needed to provide a `discharge summary certificate` and I should contact them directly.

Is a discharge summary certificate not something you get when you are discharged from bankruptcy, not an IVA completion cert?

In any case I haven`t completed my IVA yet, I just wanted them to rectify and update their entry on my file correctly.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:59 pm
Hi Goosed I suspect its just a misuse of the terminology. Its your IVA Completion Certificate they will need.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:54 pm
As Lisa says they will, in due course, require your Completion Certificate -- although they do not actually need it and are just being awkward for the sake of it.

Although the Financial Ombudsman doesn't deal with IVA's I imagine they could look at the failure of a bank to adhere to statutory regulations --- might be worth a word with them.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”