Variation Meeting

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
40 posts Page 1 of 3

colin178

Post by colin178 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:11 pm
Hi, I am about to write a letter to give my IVA company permission to call a variation meeting and to explain why we need to reduce our payments (wage drop). I have a chance of taking a lump sum from work at the end of the year due to voluntary redundancy and would also like to offer this as F&F. My question is, can I include this in my letter, ie request for reduced payments due to wage drop and offer F&F sum to be payed at year end? Would they be able to make a decision on both of these things in one variation meeting or would they have to have two separate meetings? Sorry for rambling on.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:43 pm
They can deal with them as separate questions within the same meeting. But make sure that you word it to make it clear that you will only go for VR if they accept the F&F. If you take VR without this they will have the lump sum off you anyway.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

colin178

Post by colin178 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:30 pm
Thanks Foggy, I'll give my IP a call on Monday.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 pm
I agree with foggy ..it needs to be very clear to ensure VR will only be taken if a F&F offer is agreed otherwise you will not have access to this money. Good luck
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:45 pm
Perhaps question 1 which presents the reduced payments account to X months multiplied by new monthly payment proposal for the remainder of term (assuming no equity in property).

Question 2 offers to introduce a lump sum into the IVA which amounts to the same (or slightly more) as the total sum in question 1, the reduced costs in IP fees in the lump sum and the reduced risk of further payment reduction variations makes the lump sum much more appealing to creditors.

You could stipulate that the lump sum my be made available from either a loan from a family member/ friend or if you were to take VS, but both would only be on the grounds that the lump sum to end IVA was agreed.

Also remember to make it clear that the final lump sum value reduces per payment made each month that goes by (these things can take a little while with various firms).

The only reason I have introduced the family/friend option is that it gives you options, I guess the key thing is money coming in, they don't care where from.

Just personal opinion from reading this forum for the last year :)
Last edited by longslog101 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 am
Good luck with your proposed plans to move forward in the IVA and as others say do be very concise as to what it is you're proposing.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

colin178

Post by colin178 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:03 pm
Thanks for all the advise, I wrote the letter today so me and my wife have everything crossed. I will only receive redundancy payment at year end so its going to be a long few months. Just hope the creditors make the right decision. I'll let you all know what they say after the creditors meeting. Thanks again.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:08 pm
Fingers crossed for you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:42 pm
All the best from me again and do let us know.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:53 pm
Good luck.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

colin178

Post by colin178 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm
Hi all, so I sent the letter on the 19th August and not heard anything else yet. My IP says that it is in the hands of his Supervisor. Does anybody know how long it takes to hear something from sending the letter or what the next step is? I have no idea on timescales. The stumbling block is that I am going to be recvieving an official redundancy letter around the end of October which I will need to sign to agree to my severance payment. If the Creditors meeting hasn't taken place before this then I won't be able to sign the letter, hence we won't be able to offer full and final figure. Any advise would be gratefully received. Colin.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 am
Your IP is the Supervisor so sounds like you are getting a bit of a runaround. A variation should be called within 21 days oif being requested so go back and ask to speak to the actual IP as this is very important.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:35 pm
I agree with Michael.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Evilmoo

Post by Evilmoo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:32 am
Hi Colin

Our f&f meeting is today and I started the process in May. it varies from IP to IP - unfortunately ours is one of the slower ones so fingers crossed yours will be better

Good luck
IVA started Aug 2012
F&F agreed 7th September 2015
CC received 4th March 2016

colin178

Post by colin178 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:03 pm
Hi just a quick update, I have been dealing with my case officer not my IP, my mistake. He has just informed me that he has been told that our case can be made a priority, although the Variation Team's team leader has said that first week in November is 'best case' scenario. I would sign the letter from work prior to the Variation meeting but it is a massive risk. Can any of the IVA experts tell me if they think our offer will be excepted or not? If meeting happens in November we will still owe 46 x £196 (reduced from £425 due to pay drop) = £9,000 and we have offered £10,000
40 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”