Can I get a credit card ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1

Michael.lh

Post by Michael.lh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:11 am
Can I get a credit card and rep are my credit with a Ive I have been paying for 3 years

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 am
Whilst in an iva no new lines of credit should be attempted unless agreement of your IP.
Why do you want to get a credit card whilst in your iva? If your i&e is not giving you the money you need to live on a review of it might enable a reduction in monthly payment to help.
If you are looking for a credit card as a way of building credit rating tgen it would be advisable to wait until the 6th year when it has all geen removed from your records.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 am
I agree with Luluj - a credit card is not a good idea at the moment and it won't help to repair your credit which will be shot for six years.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 am
While the IVA is still on record it will eclipse all of the other information on there, so no real benefit in getting a credit card now --- if you managed to get accepted and if your IP agrees.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am
A credit card is always useful in or out of an IVA but having one would have no impact on repairing your credit rating.

That only starts once you have finished your IVA.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 pm
Hi and welcome. Be careful would be my words and check your proposal carefully as you may put your IVA in jeopardy if you did get one.

as others say won't repair your credit files any faster than you waiting.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

zee

Post by zee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:23 am
Correct me if l am wrong but l understand you can get credit of up to £500 with the approval of your IP.
I hate credit cards with passion but would not having one after year 5 (after completion) help repair credit while waiting for the 6 years? Of course l am advocating for paying the balance off every month. This l think will also give a peace of mind as some purchases(e.g house hold essentials like TV, holiday ) are automatically covered by credit but not debit card payments.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 am
Zee it depends on the wording of your proposal.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”