What impact will burglary have on my IVA ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Leedwr23

Post by Leedwr23 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:52 pm
Yesterday I returned home, to find we had been burgled. We did an audit of the possessions and found that jewellery and cash had been stolen,and are now putting in preventatives to make sure it does not happen again i.e. burglar alarm and new windows. It will cost a lot of money (my partner is not in any insolvency and is able to fund most of it). I will have to make a contribution each month. Will this have a huge impact on my IVA ?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:49 am
Sorry to hear this. You could speak to your IP re your share of the costs and see if a break of payments could cover this period however if approved your iva is likely to extend to compensate for any break of payments.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:06 am
I too am sorry to read this. What an awful thing to happen. I wonder if your partner will fund the new windows/doors and alarms system and you could maybe pay them back once your IVA has finished with an agreement rather than extending your IVA.

If this isn't possible it will be worth a chat with your IP. Security is a must.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:12 am
So sorry to hear this - hopefully there will be a way round it but do agree that you need to speak to your IP.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:49 am
A payment break would seem appropriate and I am sure your creditors would be sympathetic. I too am sorry to hear about this.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

sprowstonboy

Post by sprowstonboy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 am
I'm sorry to hear about this, it happened to me about 4 years ago. It's a very distressing experience. Speak to your IP about a break. If its any consolation I was allowed to keep all the insurance settlement to replace the stolen items.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am
I've not been burgled (thankfully!) but when I have made a claim for various items that have been lost or damaged then the company has either replaced them with the equivalent or given me authority to go to a dealer and get it replaced (engagement ring) I never had the cash.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”