I am working towards an IVA. I don't want my partner to know about this.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
6 posts Page 1 of 1

Natashadi32

Post by Natashadi32 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:38 pm
I am working towards an IVA and I have got a partner who is planning to move in with me soon. I would not want him to know about it. How do I stand with this? it is not his debt and i dont think he should be paying for it. Could you please help? Thank you. Natasha

relieved33

Post by relieved33 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:18 pm
We told nobody about our iva but I can't imagine not telling a partner. It's a long lonely road and you need support.

It will impact on many things possibly, insurance, bank accounts, mortgages etc so you need to discuss this. It actually brought us closer I think.

You can put it to your IP that you have a lodger rather than partner but you need to declare that as a change in circumstances. You could be in breach if you do not inform your IP.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:18 am
I agree with relieved. It would be better to tell your partner as you will need to keep your IP informed. Would bankruptcy be a better option so you could look to start afresh in a year?
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:25 am
Our children knew of ours as they had some problems as well and I felt better that they understood we couldn't spend anything.

Just didn't tell my parents or brother in law as they would not have understood.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:00 pm
Natasha,

Cant help but feel that if you dont share this then your relationship could be heading in a negative direction, trust & truth etc. I am pretty sure it will come out one way or the other, either throigh him seeing a letter, him getting refused credit if there was a suggestion of a joint bank account for bills, him thinking for some reason you never pay your share of things (because you cant). The council tax bill issue, him discovering your name on the register, or one of his friends finding it - if he suggests getting a mortgage together in e.g. 3 years and you have to make up some excuse why you don't want to (because you will fail a credit check) and he thinks its because you're not committed, etc etc . I would personally be inclined to sit down and have a chat about your options, you never know he might surprise you and offer to help you instead of you going down the IVA route, if you get the wrong reaction even after a time to reflect then perhaps its not meant to be (just personal opinion of course)... good luck whatever you decided
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Hi you don't have to tell your partner but if you don't declare their share of income towards the household bills etc your IP will just have to assume you each pay 50:50, which could work out to your detriment. Apart from that if you're keeping secrets like this from your partner you won't have a healthy relationship and if they find out it could cause problems for you later on but I realise you didn't come on here for that kind of advice!
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”