Do I have a case for legal action ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Zoey.20

Post by Zoey.20 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:14 pm
I made some financial mistakes when I was younger and I searched online for debt advice. I was immediately contacted by a company called harington brooks. I advised them that i had £7000 in debt but most were showing as defaults and queried if they would come off my file in 6 years and they said NO. They immediately scared me into getting IVA with them by advising I could be made bankrupt. The whole thing was not done accurately and after I filled a comp!msint that the debts on iva were not on my file as they did come off due to 6 year thing and that I failed to meet minimum debt requirement of at least £10000 they gave me back all my money and terminated the iva. I am now stuck with this failed iva due to this , do I have a case for legal action

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:23 pm
To have any case you would have to prove a material loss, which I doubt would be possible in the circumstances. They might have scared you with the bankruptcy thing -- but it is ( however remote) always a possibility that a creditor might decide to do this. You were lucky to have got your money back -- yes the IVA was possibly ill advised ( too low a debt really). When did this all happen ?
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:09 pm
Hi and welcome,

Agree with Foggy - the BR, although a possibility, ws a scare tactic.

Have you managed to sort things out since?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”