Apprroaching 7th year, keep being told we can't have certificate because of PPI claims.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
23 posts Page 1 of 2

Mathew.w

Post by Mathew.w » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:16 am
Hi,
Me and my wife completed our IVA (including a extra year due to no equity) then all this PPI rubbish happened. We are now approaching our 7th year due to PPI claims and keep being told they can't give us our certificate of completion until it's settled! Is this legal? We have upheld all of the terms of the IVA and feel that our whole lives is on stop because of this

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:26 am
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the closure process seems to vary between firms. The PPI issue should have been dealt with during the iva to avoid a lengthy closure period ....which firm is your IVA with ?
If it were me I would be making a weekly phonecall chasing this now ...it is unreasonable in my view.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Mathew.w

Post by Mathew.w » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:59 am
We are with Cleardebt. I'm already phoning and sending emails on a weekly basis. Every time I do contact them all I get told is and I quote "we are seeking legal council"

welshwiz

Post by welshwiz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:15 pm
Have you thought about seeking legal advice they might be able to shed some light on it for you

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:17 pm
All (or at least those that care) firms have sought counsel and there are, still, varying opinions. Legal counsel ism after all, just an opinion ( albeit a highly experienced one). Until such time as matters such as these are taken to court for a ruling there is no definitive answer.

Cleardebt, to be fair, were at the vanguard of trying to sort this out to allow speedy conclusions despite PPI. However, somewhere along the line they were given contradictory advice and are now proceeding with caution.

Some firms are still completing speedily -- usually those using the more efficient claims companies, and, of course, those that have received advice to that effect.

In any eyes the whole PPI thing is a shambles and the Government and Insolvency Service should be moving heaven and earth with the various regulatory bodies to sort out a definitive path --- however, we are but tiny grains of sand and an ever increasing beach!!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Mathew.w

Post by Mathew.w » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:46 pm
I've thought about seeking legal advice but I'm worries about the costs. All I want to do is get on with my life and buy a bigger home but cleardebt is holding it all up

HLP12

Post by HLP12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 am
Hi, I am in same situation with cleardebt, I'm feeling depressed about it, my 6 years is tomorrow, finished a year ago and then they decided to start PPI claims, it's been over a year now, apparently one is trying to offset it now which I can only assume means more delays, each time I call they advise it will finish when it finishes! So rude! I want to move on with my life. Surly this has to be illegal, I would not of gone into an Iva if I knew it would go over 6 years and by sounds of it maybe even longer, I'm starting to feel depressed and can't see an end, worse then before I started the IVA. Did it clear off your credit file after 6 years or still there as not completed?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 am
Contact David Mond or Size 5 who post here. Their details are in the ask an expert section and I am sure one or other will be able to help.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

HLP12

Post by HLP12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 pm
I've already contacted them both. DRSP I started calling every few weeks from June 2014, they had responses from everyone apart from 3, (same creditor, they believe its my bank accounts but they have to wait for confirmation) so I kept calling weekly and they said they'd sent reminders, then I called end of July to be told oh we need more forms signed to send to them which were sent 6th August, I assume they need to be given another 8 weeks to reply? I mailed Mr Mond, who advised PPi started in 2012 which is not correct, I heard nothing from DRSP till after my last payment in 2013. (last Payment August) I was sent forms in November and it went from there. I don't think these companies realise the horrendous times people go through and probably think you got yourself into this so tough which is true to a degree but after 6 years when you have complied 100% that you need an end, my debt was due to an ex leaving me high and dry, my fault as All in my name I know but the depression I feel now is worse than when I started this. Tomorrow was my end date, my date to celebrate and now I'm being told that they have no idea when this will end. How can this be legal to do this to people. Of course if people don't Comply or miss payment don't give information or sign forms but none of those apply to me. Can you advise will it still be on my credit file tomorrow as it's been 6 years as I don't have the completion certificate?

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:53 pm
The debts themselves should fall off after six years and it depends on whether the IVA is even on your credit file. You will still be on the register until the IVA is over but hopefully your credit file will be cleared up.

I am sure Cleardebt are doing all they can but this does not lessen your distress. I really hope this can be ended soon.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Mathew.w

Post by Mathew.w » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:26 pm
Well still no closer to an end. It's really starting to get to me as we don't have an end in site due to 2 creditors. It's also starting to depress my wife as we feel we are being penalised even tho we upheld all agreements our end

HLP12

Post by HLP12 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 pm
There needs to be more legal rules around this, when I entered into the IVA It said max 6 years!! Is this legal to carry it on? Not my issue that they failed to start PPi until after I had finished, it's been a year, other people I know who have claimed PPi themselves had it completed within 3 months and money paid (Why are they taking so long) Have you checked your credit history after the 6 years, does it still show on there?

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:27 pm
I think the PPI claim thing was a fairly newish thing for people with closing IVA's over the past couple of years. I would like to hope that all new IVA's the PPI is being claimed much sooner to lessen or totally get rid of any extra wait.

I can totally understand how frustrating this is and if you've been to David Mond himself then I don't know what else to advise...

I sincerely hope this is sorted for you very soon to help you move on with your debt free life.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Mathew.w

Post by Mathew.w » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:56 pm
So will I be able to get a new mortgage if it's not on there anymore or will it all be held because we are still on the register?

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm
I feel that your credit files have to be clean before a mortgage could be sourced but stand to be corrected.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”