One of my creditors have put an Attachment of Earnings against me. IVA has been approved.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
23 posts Page 1 of 2

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:05 am
I have just recently had an IVA approved (over 80% creditors accepted it).... Now, 3 weeks later I've just seen Basildon county court has enforced an Attachment of Earnings order against me for one of my creditors that accepted my IVA... The first payment came out this week..... I thought you were protected from any further legal/Debt chasing while covered by an IVA?

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:09 am
Speak to your iva company - they should be able to help with this.
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 am
Hi and welcome,

You should have been told of the potential AOE before it went to court and your IP should have been able to stop it. I am sure they will sort this for you.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:28 am
I would imagine this was overlapped and the creditor either started the ball rolling pre IVA (maybe trying to get his "foot in the door" first) or was slow catching on. Your IP should be able to sort this out for you.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I did speak to my IP and he said he would contact the court but couldn't guarantee how long it would take.... It has so far been 4 weeks (at £35.10 per week) on top of my agreed IVA payment of £86 per month. I've still heard nothing from my IP about when these payments will stop. Now I've just received another letter from the court saying a further £237 per month will be stopped from my salary for another debt. This is now a over a month after my IVA Started (17 March it was agreed).

I was under the impression that an IVA would put a stop to any further claims.... I'm not feeling particularly protected by it at the moment.

It was agreed that I could afford £86 per month (paying the IVA)... I am now going to be paying £475 a month (out of my £1000 per month salary for who knows how long), I'm extremely worried cos this will effectively break the camels back... Is there anything else I can do as I'm worried my IP isn't really taking this seriously?

Thanks Tony

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 pm
Who are you with ? They should get onto this right away.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:13 pm
Hi Foggy,

I'm with a company called Carrington George.... Who were recommended to me from the DAF (Debt Advice Foundation charity).

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:43 am
You are fully protected by the iva and this should not be happening. Have you spoken direct to the IP or a caseworker ? I would be on the phone insisting I speak to IP and insisting this is resolved immediately - it is unreasonable for you to be penalised in this way with an iva in place.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:16 am
I have not come across them before, so cannot comment on them specifically. I echo what Luluj says --- have you spoken to the IP direct, or just a caseworker ?

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 am
A quick scan of their website indicates that your I.P. is likely to be Paul George, and the site also makes mention that his view is that clients should have direct access to the I.P.

Therefore, if not already done, call and insist on speaking to Mr George, I am sure he will want to make good on that, and will also be very perturbed at this turn of events.

Further, from the information you have given, any monies already taken from you should be returned as the creditor(s) in question have no right to take these funds to the detriment of both you and the other creditors in the IVA. They are not, in my opinion, an asset of the IVA and should be repaid to you and not the I.P. If they do get paid to the I.P. then he should return them to you.

Hope that helps.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:35 am
Thanks for the replies,

I already sent Paul George an email last night and will attempt to call him today... Will let you know the outcome in due course.

Thanks Tony

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:39 am
I think all will hinge on the dates. When the AOE commenced, when the Order was granted, when the creditor was given notice of your IVA and when your IVA was put in place.

Its a shame your IP didn't know about this - an Interim order might have been relevant preventing this from happening.

Get your IP onto it asap.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 pm
Both these AOEs have come from the same creditor (Cabot Financial). The first one was enforced just a day after the IVA came into effect so I can understand that records may not have been updated within that time.

I was in effect told by my IP to "Suck it Up" for whatever amount of time it takes for him to sort it with the court... Which I have done (managing to speak to my Immediate manager I was able to gain some overtime to offset against the extra £152 coming out. I will be unable to do the same with this AOE as my work hours are limited to European driving hours (Tacho legislation) so even if the hours were available to do I wouldn't legally be allowed to do them.

This AOE is now over a month afterwards... and not only the same company, but the same county court issuing it!

Have phoned through, but my IP is out of the office until this afternoon so I'll have to wait and see.... But don't hold out much hope based on my last telephone discussion with him.

At the moment, the only option I see with my limited experience, is to get the sack, file for bankruptcy and tough it out for three years ( not really my preferred option though)

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm
Sounds to me like they were bound by the IVA then and will be a creditor.

Worst case scenario will be for you not to pay the AOE (or your IVA contributions) whilst this is bottomed out.

Bankruptcy and getting the sack sounds a bit extreme!

Hope you get to touch base with your IP to sort.

If necessary back up comms with your IP in writing by recorded delivery so you can escalate if necessary.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Tonydg23

Post by Tonydg23 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:46 pm
Thanks For the reply Lisa,

Yes you're right, getting myself sacked and claiming bankruptcy may we'll be a bit extreme.... Think I was just venting my frustration to be honest.

As it happens, my wife has just sent me a picture message showing a letter I've just received from Basildon County Court saying that they've now had correspondence from my IP and as a result the original order has been quashed (somewhat relieved). So I officially take back my concerns about Carrington George not doing anythingfor now : )

What I'm wondering now is if that quashing will also apply to this new order I received yesterday or if I now need to go through the same rigmaroll again (is this Cabot Financials new gameplay for clawing back that bit extra?) as the letter stated only the case number for the initial £152 AOE.
23 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”