Unethical/illegal practice?

17 posts Page 1 of 2

gulliver

Post by gulliver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm
Hi,

I guess my question is a bit different from the usual.

I have only recently discovered that my sister has entered an IVA which started in Sept. 2008. She and my mother live together, and before the IVA, my mother owned 67% of the property outright in her own name, my sister the rest on a mortgage.

She had £56K of store and credit card debts, her mortgage and various unsecured personal loans on top.

What concerns me, is the way my mother, 86 at the time, was blackmailed by the people arranging the IVA into signing over her portion of the house (a half share of which should have been my inheritance) to my sister in entirety, telling her her daughter (who has a young son) would be sent to prison for the debts if she did not comply. My mother's health has deteriorated considerably since that time, due to the stress. I was not involved, or informed about any of this at the time.

My mother has received absolutely nothing in return for her share of the house (approx. £160,000), and I have been disinherited, since my sister is now sole legal owner, and will undoubtedly use the remaining house value to max out her credit as soon as she is clear of the IVA.

I understand that the creditors would have had absolutely no legal claim over my mother's portion of the house value, as the debt's were all created by my sister for her own benefit. They insisted on her voluntary signing over of the deed's of the house, before allowing my sister to enter the IVA.

So I am asking if this is acceptable, legitimate behaviour, and if not, what, if any, recourse do I now have to claim the pressurising of my mother to hand over her life savings (as invested in the house) to cover her daughter's debts, was illegal and unethical? Can that arrangement be nullified because of undue pressure exerted by the IVA practitioners on a frail, 86 year old lady whose obvious weakness was understandable concern for her daughter and grandson?

kazzafunk

Post by kazzafunk » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm
That sounds dreadful and if it did happen in the way you have described I would be seeking legal advice if it were my own mother.
Kazza

Please visit my blog:
http://kazzafunk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

IVA completed 21/03/2012

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm
That is just wrong! You really need professional help and guidance. Visit a CAB and find out from them if you need to retain a lawyer. IMO it is illegal but that is just my moral stance and not a legal judgement. I would start to write down everything and see if your Mum will either write down or dictate her accounts. I do find it sad that an IP would stoop so low just to gain a client and the small amount of money made via his/her fees. This company needs to be outed if these allegations are founded and the IP struck off.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 pm
I'm hoping one of our experts or IPs can help on this one.

It may be helpful to name the IVA company, as we may have a representative from the firm that can help on the matter.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:00 pm
I am afraid if your sister has had the house signed over to her there is little you can do.

Do you have proof of the IVA company blackmailing your mum into signing the house over.

Time to name them on here as has been suggested but I fear by the sounds of this story it wont be one of the better outfits that has been used.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 pm
Doesn't sound good but I do agree with Paul.

We'd love to know which company it was so we can tell posters to avoid them.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:52 am
This sounds very unethical and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I agree with the others - see legal help and ask them to look into this - however your mother will need to be involved in this - would she be willing to take legal action against her other daughter as ultimately it could turn quite nasty and cause further family rifts.

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 am
It could easily be the RX1 form that your mum signed. You need to look for mention of the property in the iva proposal to see how it has been dealt with. Also check the deeds.

Firefox

Post by Firefox » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 am
I'm very sorry to hear this, it must be causing you some considerable distress. I think the first thing to say is that it sounds like a complex legal problem and therefore you should look to get professional advice and perhaps the CAB would be your first port of call. What is certain is that no insolvency practitioner should conduct themselves in such a manner and I would be very surprised if they made any claims that suggested a debtor could potentially be jailed for non payment in order to procure a signature, IP's are bound by very strict regulations. Any such act would probably be viewed as "undue influence".

Given that this could become quite legal I would suggest that you don't name anyone on the forum, i.e IVA firm or supervisors as you could prejudice a future case.

Once again I'm sorry to hear such a tale but please do get proper legal advice on this.

Best of luck
IVA finished June 2011

"If you listen to people who tell you what's impossible, they're usually the ones who failed" Paul Stanley

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:45 am
We don't actually know anything wrong happened yet. It could just be the RX1form that was signed and this is just a marker on the property not a transfer of ownership. The OP really needs to give us a few concrete details. By their own admission the mum was frail all those years ago so her memory probably isn't 100%.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 am
First thing to do is a search at Land Registry.

Initially you will need to see if the property is registered. If it is, you can call for a copy of the Register Entries and see a) who the registered owners are and b) what charges (if any) are noted against the title.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Bob.23

Post by Bob.23 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:11 pm
Thank you for all the support and advice. I have indeed refrained from naming names until I can establish what actually occurred.

I have now trawled through the masses of papers, and established that in fact the events I describe above took place about nine months before the IP got involved or the IVA was setup.

My mother's account only relates to 'men in suits' who came round to the house - she thought they were from the bank. It now appears the people responsible were agents for the "bad credit history not a problem" re-mortgaging firm my sister had applied to, who on finding she wasn't the sole owner, then applied pressure to my mother rather than lose the business. My sister's share of the house being insufficient to cover her debt's.

Needless to say her new huge mortgage payments were unsustainable leading to the setting up of the IVA only nine months later, three of which were due to my mother's refusal to hand over the deeds to the house.

So to reassure others here that there is no rogue IP at loose - The IP and firm involved had no part in this tawdry affair. I am now seeking legal advice regarding the selling practices of this company, and possible action over the transfer of assets at an undervalue.
Last edited by Bob.23 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:25 pm
How awful that your mother had to go through this and that your sister seems to be the instigator.

I would certainly speak to CAB or have a free consultation with a solicitor to see where you stand.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:40 pm
I hope you get a positive outcome but I fear that your sister has allowed your mother to be used in a way I wouldnt be happy about.

Good luck.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:43 pm
I'm sorry about all this. I can't get away from the thought that your sister had a hand in the transfer of your mother's share of the property. It simply couldn't have happened without her being involved. The firm carried out the transaction on her behalf! You do need legal advice but I'm not sure what you can achieve. The money is gone and even if you reversed the transaction your mum would have to sue your insolvent sister for the money. Is is worth causing further problems within the family. Your sister needs to focus on making reparations to your mum and not funding a defe
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Mortgage default under IVA”