University Education

35 posts Page 2 of 3

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:02 pm
Ooops, all that sounds familiar [:I]

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:11 pm
I'm always going around our house turning lights off!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:29 pm
We have under unit lights on in the kitchen at night, the landing light is permanently on when it is dark, the TV, Sky+ box are always on standby. We have lights in the back garden and they are lit all night as well.

Not very green as far as energy goes!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:59 pm
Same here Jan - everything is left on standby. You can't actually turn our TV off unless you unplug it, and no way I am doing that every night.

When I chose the living room lights I went for looks over everything else and they won't take energy saving lights - I'll be stocking up on bulbs before they go obsolete!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:10 pm
We have spots in most of the ceilings. The lamps though do have energy saving bulbs in them.

Until they warm up though they're not even as bright as a candle!

My computer is left on if I'm not sitting at it (admittedly that's not long!) so it's certainly on all evening.

My mobile is plugged in at the moment as well, the heating is on as well - it's a bit nippy!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:14 pm
That's the reason I don't like energy saving bulbs and will resist having them for as long as possible! My lights are ice cube shaped and I love them - I'll be gutted if some stupid directive means they aren't any good!

My laptop is turned off at night, but at the weekend it's turned on in the morning and then stays on.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:26 pm
Mine gets turned off when I go to bed every day. When I work an early shift I turn it on when I get up just to check email and the forum, then it goes off until I get home.

When I'm on a late shift though it goes on as soon as I get up, and remains on until I go to bed. Same at the weekend - regardless of whether I am at home or not.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 am
I always turn my computer equipment off, we do have energy saving bulbs where possible but due to the design of some of the light fittings we can't. The TV is like yours Skippy unless it's unplugged won't go off so hubby fitted a new plug that allows a press of a button. Therefore only the Sky is on standby all evening, we unplug all phone chargers or anything else. It's more to do with saving money than being green for me personally.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:10 am
I did one of those online questionnaires where they tell you how much you can save if you make changes - it worked out that we could save around £12 a year, so to be honest I can't be bothered!

I also did one to see how much we could save if we had a water meter and our bill would increase so I certainly won't be getting one of those!

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:42 pm
Haven't got a water meter but as the brood is slowly leaving I maybe could benefit, might look into that.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:00 pm
It was going ok until I put in that I have a couple of showers a day and the washing machine is on 3 or 4 times a week!

Mind you, as our water rates are only £18 a month we can't complain.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm
I wash everyday so maybe I'm better off as I am! Dishwasher on everyday, luckily I'm an insomniac so do most on economy 7 or I hate to think what the electric bill would be!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:59 pm
I wouldn't touch a water meter! The shower is used every day here, the dishwasher is on at least once a day. Washing machine is on constantly at the weekend.

In the summer (when we have one!) the garden is watered regularly (we never get a hosepipe ban here).

I'm afraid our water rates are just over £50 a month. Then again we do have a four bed detached with three toilets and two bathrooms!

The price we pay for having a larger house I suppose!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 pm
Mine is £40.38, we have two bathrooms, one ensuite, four bedrooms, but we're only semi, but Victoria Semi so fairly big. Might have to stay with the meter by the sound of it!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:22 pm
Ours is a one bad maisonette and I definitely won't be changing to the meter!
35 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “bonus, overtime, pay rises and windfalls”