UNIVERSITY

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
19 posts Page 1 of 2

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm
Hi Guys - just a quickie question. My son has just finished his AS's and will be looking at going to Uni in September 2012 assuming he passes his A levels next year. I have looked into the student finance options for him and my gosh is it scary? He will be about 200 miles from home and will be staying in halls for the first year, hopefully. Does anyone know whether the costs of this will be considered with our creditors as he will have no income initially and he will not be entitled to any living costs grants because we earn over their threshhold for him to get assistance. Would this be deemed as an unnecessary luxury in the eyes of our creditors for our son? He will, of course be entitled to the usual student loan for his extautionate tuition fees.

Thanks

Kazzy x
There is light at the end of that dark tunnel. Promise.

Visit my blog at: http://kazzy.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:28 pm
Hi Kazzy E my daughter is in the same position as your son. I will speak with my IP a little nearer the time, but fear my daughter will be living on student loans until the finish of my IVA. I do plan on buying her a little bit of shopping and am encouraging her to go where her Nan lives to help with costs but I don't think her thinking and mine are the same!

Be interesting to see how other posters have managed with a child at uni and an IP's perspective too x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:29 pm
Your IP should definately consider your need to support your son, but will expect to see efforts being made by him to secure a part-time job to help with the costs of study. Do you think this is likely to affect the level of your IVA payments? If so, a variation to the terms of the arrangement may be necessary.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 pm
Lesley lets hope we can get us both some answers as it's a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment.

Thanks Melanie, you are my IP so its encouraging to hear that the matter would be considered seriously, thank you. He will of course be hoping to secure some part time work during his studies so he will start to apply as soon as he knows whether he will be accepted or not. I would expect him to contribute also as the costs are £100 per week for the halls and he would need to take some responsibility to assist with his living costs. So in reality, yes, I do think this will eventually affect our level of IVA payments albeit, he will have to make a contribution too. Our review is due around this time, so I would expect to have to let you know about the costs this time next year, is that correct?

Kazzy

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:55 pm
We also share the same IP Kazza and may I say a very approachable, contactable one! x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:02 pm
Kazzy and Lesley - I know your cases really well and you both have scope to contribute something towards the costs - but do try and save as much as you can in the meantime towards this very precious area of expenditure. Having seen three in this family through Uni - I know first hand how expensive things are.

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 pm
Lesley, Melanie and her team are fantastic and have always been there to help us during worrying times.

I know it's a little early to be thinking about these issues, but uni applications have to be in by mid January 2012 latest, so in reality the next year is going to fly by. The IVA is a big matter in our lives, and I would rather get the answers too early than too late so that I am fully prepared and not leaving things until the last minute which I have been guilty of in the past.

Kazzy

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:10 pm
My daughter has to apply by October Kazzy, I agree fully about Melanie and her team and do know they'll be realistic about the young ones futures. All the best to your son and hoping he gets the grades he requires for his chosen degree x x
Last edited by Shining on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm
Get those applications in early, get both children the very best offers and places that you can find, and let me worry about how we fix the funding around the IVA payments. Children only get one go at this - and it is important that their education does not suffer.

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm
Melanie, this is real sound advice, thank you, it's always helpful to hear from people that actually have first hand experience of these issues and any advice you can give Lesley and myself from a personal perspective is always welcomed.

My biggest concern is that I don't want my son to miss out on an experience of a lifetime because of our stupidity of events that led to our IVA. That would be such a shame, especially as I have reached 43 years of age and my biggest regret in life is that I missed out on the Uni experience and I don't want the same to happen to my son because of my shortcomings.

I am sure when the time comes, there will be a solution, as there always is with your team looking after our case.

Thank you again.

Kazzy

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 pm
That won't happen Kazzy as you will be well into the downward stretch by the time he goes. Just make sure you teach him how to use an iron and tinopener before he goes!!!

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 pm
Lesley, a very interesting subject which I am sure we will both find a solution to with Melanie's expertise.

I wish your daughter the very best for the future too. Bless them, such exciting times for them with bright futures ahead. They should reach out and grab every given opportunity with both hands.

I'm here during the stressful application process for you - we can compare notes!!

Best of luck Lesley.

Kazzy x

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 pm
Melanie, thanks, you're a real star! He is pretty good with an iron as he was a boy scout! Tin opener might be more of a problem, but strange how he has mastered the art of a bottle opener already!! :)

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:36 pm
[8D][8D]

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:21 pm
I need to get my daughter introduced to an iron, she cooks, cleans etc but is never successful at ironing. It will be great to compare applicaton processes and choices of universities Kazza if you want to, if I ask Jan she can pass my email address to you so we can catch up off forum.

My daughter does stress and is torn between a couple of uni's and a couple of courses! She's awaiting AS results date eagerly and can't wait to get her predicted A2 results to start the application process. Let me know and I'll ask Jan to send you my email address if you want it? x

Melanie thanks so much for your input into this post as it has taken away some of my personal worry x
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”