Upgrading to a platinum account with no overdraft ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Al2304

Post by Al2304 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:00 pm
Hi

I'm currently in an iva with a lloyds classic account t that I changed to before going into the IVA. All okay no problems I'm wondering though if I can upgrade to a platinum account with NO overdraft but get the other facilities of the phone insurance, RAC, travel insurance etc just mean I'd save some money but worried they would credit check me to upgrade and I'd lose account

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm
They are very unlikely to upgrade and you are right to be worried that this can of worms shouldn't be opened. If t'were me I would not poke a sleeping bear.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

martinw

Post by martinw » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 pm
As i understand it Lloyds get a monthly feed from the CRAs anyway, so they'll know about your IVA.

Given that they likely know about your IVA, and the platinum account isn't any more risky, but they get more money, why not ?

Martin

pennieless

Post by pennieless » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:33 pm
I upgraded while in iva and was excepted I upgraded via internet banking so didn't speak to anyone.

mazbrown

Post by mazbrown » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:54 pm
I did the same with lloyds .

12 months to go

Post by 12 months to go » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:06 pm
hi A12304

i was with a diff bank altogether , so my comment may not be of relevent, albeit a very similar scenario . whenevr i used the Nationwide counter service they always asked me if i wanted to upgrade, one day i decided i would , before i said yes and let her push the buttons, i stressed i wanted neither an overdraft or credit card, but it was rejecetd almost immediatley after she pressed enter !! good news though, after end of IVA & it had dropped off my credit file, i was upgraded

i suppose every bank is different, although i would have thought it unlikely ypu would be upgraded, but a post above by a lloyds cutomer would appear to say differemt ( but as a Lloyds customer im sure they are more qualified than me to suggest otherwise )
Last payment made April 2012
Certificate received 1st Nov 2012

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:11 pm
Although I don't think they do it as policy, there have been a few posts where Lloyds have closed IVA'er's accounts for no apparent reason. Again, I would say, don't poke a sleeping bear with a stick.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

martinw

Post by martinw » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:12 pm
Did you have the nationwide cashcard account (basic bank account, no chequebook) ?

Al2304 has the classic account already (full bank account). I think once you have been accepted with a bank for a full account upgrading hat full account is straightforward, going from basic to full though is more difficult

Martin

darth_ivader

Post by darth_ivader » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 am
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by pennieless

I upgraded while in iva and was excepted I upgraded via internet banking so didn't speak to anyone.
I tried upgrading via internet banking, and was refused on the spot

martinw

Post by martinw » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:17 am
A lot may depend on your internal score
If you have had bounced direct debits or don't fund your account regularly/enough money, they may not want to keep you as a customer. I'd think (just my opinion no evidence) they want to keep you with a premium account as they can make more profit

During my IVA Lloyd's opened me a second classic account with cheque book and internet banking suggests I could upgrade both(my basic bank of Scotland account prior to this, which uses the same system wouldn't let me upgrade). This is all in last 6 months or so

Although all was good for me, I may just have got lucky

Martin
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”