Views on the new ptotocol

18 posts Page 1 of 2

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:46 am
Hi
From the BBC news website

Martin Lewis, from Moneysavingexpert.com, also gave muted support.

"The IVA industry has grown quickly and been hugely profitable, some companies making £5,000 a pop per IVA," he said.

"Hardcore promotion has brought in many unwary consumers falling for the sell of 'a loophole to wipe 75% off your debts', yet the reality is that IVAs are a cut down version of bankruptcy, suitable for only a few.

"A voluntary code seems a weak system to address this industry, but its better than nothing," he added.

I wonder what solution Martin would advocate ?
Neverending debt management plans ?
IVAs now do not 'cost' much more than Debt Management Plans,both around 15% of money paid in,and don't believe that some DMPs are free,it has been said that some creditors add 15% to the debt when it goes into a plan.

DMPs are the right answer for some
IVAs are the right answer for some
Bankruptcy is the right answer for some

It all depends on your personal circumstances
Regards
Andam Davies

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 am
I have never had an issue with the fees that IPs charge (as long as they do they're job right in charging them). This seems to be an argument against IVAs at the moment. My view has always been that if you are in trouble you consult a professional, and the fees the IP charges are part of gaining that professional help. We all have to earn a living.

Debbie
Debbie

carlmcmullen

Post by carlmcmullen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 am
"The IVA industry has grown quickly and been hugely profitable, some companies making £5,000 a pop per IVA," he said.

It annoys me that people see IP's as making £5,000 pop !!

If you are self employed and need a set of accounts and a cash flow projection producing - you could be charged up to £1,000 for a few hours work.

I was considering taking a previous employer to court (long story) but didnt get past the post as the solicitor wanted £130 an hour just to simply look at my case which i couldnt afford !!

I recently saw an unsecured loan agreement were the client had borrowed £25,000 over a 10 year period - the bank added on PPI (probablly without being told the full costs) and interest meant that they paid back just over £53,000 !! (and that was a high street bank)

An example of a secured loan, i wont name the company but PICTURE this in your mind !! A client who borrowed £50,000 over a 25 year period with PPI pays back over £163,000 !!!

Door step, cash loans that charge over 100% apr !!

My point being how can people comment on IP's fee's when there are alot of other people and companies making a quick buck from people.

To produce a proposal it can take anything from a week to four weeks and involves alot of investigation and legal work, then once the meeting is approved it is supervised for 5 years, each year involves quartley reviews, distributions to creditors, annual reviews etc.... etc... and all for the cost of around £5,000 !

It is about time the goverment stepped in and did something about all the negative press that surrounds IVA's - after all an IVA is part of goverment legislation - maybe they should begin to do something about it.

Rant over - feel better now got that of my chest.[:)]

vickir

Post by vickir » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:11 am
My IP fees were £6196 on debts of 30K, the only modification put through by creditors was a reduction in the fees!

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:38 am
Interesting enough my IP fees were over £3800 for the nominee and over £8000 for supervisor fees.Is this too much? However been in IVA for 11 months now and it is certainly better than the stress before.

P

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:02 am
Everyone takes a cut! Thats life... at the end of the day folks echoing soulgrowths thoughts, these are professional people charging professional fees.

Where would most of us be without these arrangements whichever your in! I know I'd probably have topped myself if I had carried on.
its a marathon not a sprint!

I'm out of my mind but please leave a message!

J-DOUBLEYA

Post by J-DOUBLEYA » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 pm
I dont see how you can complain about paying for a service, Carl makes a valid point. The bone of contention seems to be when the cost is not made clear to the client and when there us such a large number of companies offerring essentially the same service but for greatly varying amounts of money.

Politics !! successive governemts have made the UK a credit wonderland and creditors have made vast profits on the back of seemingly endless credit. Debt solutions likeDMP's IVA's and Bankruptcy are a solution that the credit industry rightly faces unless they look closely at their lending policies !

Talk about putting th cat amongst the pigeons, The Government encourages lending and makes debt socially acceptable and then puts in place the enterprise Act, a new CCA and the enforcement reforms giving more power to those that are suffering distress from debt. I really think that this year [and possibly next] will see some radical changes in attitude from both the credit industry and consumers alike.[}:)]
Last edited by J-DOUBLEYA on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aguise

Post by aguise » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:01 pm
I have no issue with our fees either, just over £9000 for us both. As you say I think the variation in costs between companies is more of an issue. I also think some of the posts I have seen regarding fees on the old way of time cost were very open to abuse. Much better to be able to see exactly what you are paying.

Ang
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:48 pm
Hi
I was a 'victim' of the time cost charging paying about 14k out of 37k paid in for our IVAs[and these charges had been capped by the creditors],however I didn't pay this my creditors did.
The days of this type of charging are long gone,the press and people that knock IVAs need to accept this and move on.
Regards
Andam Davies

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:22 pm
To go back to Martin Lewis, I like his site and his attitude is spot on in many things but his knowledge of this sector is virtually non existent so I feel he would do well NOT to comment on things that he has no knowledge of.
Driving, ironically to the bank, last summer on a friday lunchtime, I had the misfortune to catch his debt tips slot with Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio 2.
Amongst his "advice" that day, he advised a lady (single no partner) on statutory maternity leave, due to give birth in 6 weeks with no plans to go back to work for 6 months after the birth, to approach the CCCS and ask them to set up an IVA for her.
He also advised a lady with a lot of debt to sign over her share of the house to her husband and to then go bankrupt because there would be no repercussions.
Stick to nectar cards and airmiles Martin.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 pm
Hi
That's quite frightening
Like you say he should stick to money saving tips,something he IS very knowledgeable of.
Regards
Andam Davies

J-DOUBLEYA

Post by J-DOUBLEYA » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:40 pm
I agree - Martin should not make such glib comments. An awful lot of people read that website and may be influenced by this. I have not looked on his site - are you sure that he advised this ?

I am going to have to look now !

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:52 am
Can I just say that I think that J-DOUBLEYA has a really classy Avatar- I like the volcano!!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

sps

Post by sps » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:22 pm
Regarding IP fees - as has been said these are professional people offering a service (usually over 5 years) and I certainly felt it was worth every penny for peace of mind after facing up to our debt problem. As Andy said its the creditors who are really paying it anyway. A friend of mine was recently charged £15 for a doctor to certify a photo for a passport - £15 for what maybe 10 seconds work now thats what you call a rip off!
Sue

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:31 pm
Hmmmm, I have never subscribed to the creditors pay for it argument as it isn't the creditors that pay the money into the pot. The advice in question from Mr Lewis was on the radio programme and is not on his site, I wish I had a tape though.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Latest IVA News”