Am I being unreasonable???

7 posts Page 1 of 1

adam090376

Post by adam090376 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:23 pm
Hi All
I wonder if you can help me.
I am currently in discussions with a company called Credit soloutions ltd over outstandng mobile phone bills that my girlfriend and I have had. we owed them £340 and have paid off £100 this month leaving a balance of £240 which we plan to pay at the end of this month. However when I ring them and tell them this they say it is not acceptable and we could send people round ETC. Am I being unreasonable in making this offer? to them. Once of the people I spoke to said they could take out a CCJ against us. I am just a little bemused by it all really. We are offering to pay them back in just over two weeks would court really be necesscary???

Andrew Graveson

Post by Andrew Graveson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 pm
Hello,
That offer sounds entirely reasonable and I cannot see any real prospect of your being taken to court. A judge is only going to ask you to repay the money at a rate that you can afford anyway, so there's no point for the debt collector to spend time and money in this way.
It's a real shame these hollow threats are being used against someone who is genuinely paying back a debt as quickly as possible.

Andrew Graveson
Independent Mortgage Broker & MD Bright Oak Debt Management
andrew@brightoak.co.uk
www.brightoak.co.uk
Andrew Graveson
Bright Oak Ltd
UK Debt Management Company

Lisa2009

Post by Lisa2009 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:59 pm
I would have thought it would cost them more than you actually owe to take you to court. I wouldnt worry too much about it, its probably just scare tactics. Stick to your plan and pay it off in 2 weeks.
http://mrsskint.blogs.iva.co.uk/ 'Our Story'

Nil carborundum illegitimi

bagpuss

Post by bagpuss » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 pm
it would take more than 2 weeks to get it to court anyway....by which time it would be paid, so what would be the point.

Angie xx

My IVA Story......http://bagpuss.blogs.iva.co.uk/2007/09/ ... iva-story/

katy

Post by katy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:34 pm
These places just like to put the wind up people. I suspect they are actually gutted that you can pay the whole amount by the end of the month. Just pay it off when you have said you are going to. Angie is right, it would take longer to process all the court information.

adam090376

Post by adam090376 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:51 pm
Hi All
Thank you for your replies. I will give them a call back tonight and put forward my offer to them again. If they wish to continue with their actions then I will just have to deal with it.

lily

Post by lily » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:48 pm
Adam

Ask for a name of some who you can write to then write the offer in, no judge would award a CCJ for someone who is stating they are willing to pay, its wasting court time. Also ask if they are familiar with the creditor harrassment laws, its an offence to cause stress and to intimidate a person who is not able to offer immediate payment, 'sending someone round' isis a threat, get a name and tell them you are recording the conversation.

Include everything they have said in the letter, send it RD, you then have proof of their conduct. I am sure they are not acting within the law with this. You have admitted owing the money and your willingness to settle the debt.

I once had a parking fine from work which I didnt pay. Eventually I recieved a bill for double the amount, I paid it. The company then decided that I still owed a further 120 pounds as I had not paid it within their two week period, baliffs would come round and clamp my car. I phoned the council to make a complaint, I had paid the fine on reciept of the letter while my employers sorted out the dispute. I wrote to the company and vented my spleen, they were trying it on. I never heard another thing from them.

lily
Last edited by lily on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postbag for october”