Defaults

16 posts Page 1 of 2

worryhead

Post by worryhead » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:57 pm
Hi all
Just a quick one really, my IVA was only just accepted on 25 March 2008 but i have been getting letters from my creditors (who accepted)dated after this date demanding money and some have sent me default notices, can they still do this? Dont know whether this is something i need to call my IP about or is this normal and shall i just pass the letters on as usual?

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:03 pm
I would just forward them onto your IP. They are dealing with your creditors on your behalf so leave it to them to sort out.
It's nice to be back......

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 pm
Is it normal to receive these letters after acceptance? We thought once accepted nobody should bother you? Totally clueless - sorry.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 pm
It takes a little while for the companies to update their records, such letters will continue for a while but will dry up after a few months.

Debbie
Debbie

worryhead

Post by worryhead » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:12 pm
Thanks [:)] i was panicking, thought i would have got away without the defaults though to be honest, but i guess they dont matter if they are only lasting 6 years which will be the same amount of time that my IVA wil be on my file. Just dont want it to go to bailiffs cause i live in my freinds house and she would hit the roof.

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:16 pm
We have not had any letters YET!

Fortunately we have managed juggling so far, therefore we have not yet defaulted - it is just a matter of time. Will we too start receiving letters whilst an IVA is being set up?
Sorry I feel stupid worrying so much as people are being dealt a far tougher hand than us by the sounds of things.

worryhead

Post by worryhead » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:24 pm
I made my last payments to my creditors directly at the end of January 2008, so to have only received a few demands and 2 defaults i suppose this is not to bad, just thought they could not do this once accepted. i had 12 creditors, some are worse then others. some accepted it and have not sent anything since i started the process, others call and write constanly but i usually tell them to call my IP or put there letters in an envelope and post them away to my IP [:D] My IP just said if anything looks important and needs dealing with straight away i should call him before posting the letter, did not know if a default was important or if creditors have the right to do this, cause technicaly i have defaulted on payments

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:08 pm
Maz ... the letters, and the phone calls, will start once you stop making payments and, as a mere layperson, I would recommend doing this as soon as you decide that you intend to go down the IVA route as this will enable you to take advantage of a few months financial recovery time and build up a bit of a "contingency fund" out of the monies you would normally be paying your credit accounts off.

You will need to be a bit tough to handle the situation ... by the time the letters start arriving you should have appointed an IP that you can pass them on to and when the phone calls start my personal advice would be to set up some kind of caller display system (I had all my home phone numbers diverted to mobile phone) so that you can be in the position not to answer any calls from numbers you do not know the source of.

Paul Jones (Reviva) has coined the term "puttings your ducks in a row" which sums the journey up beautifully ... you need to carefully and skillfully plan your way through and set up 'systems' in advance.

All the best

Debbie
Debbie

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:25 pm
Thanks Debbie for being so kind and HONEST!!

I think my partner and I are going to make the call the Melanie Giles and see if she will help us. I feel quite okay at the moment sort of peaceful. I know though that as soon as things start I will crumble and turn into a wreck. I can handle most things and situations but anything that affects myself or close family and I'm rubbish...DOH!!!!
Don't suppose you know whether Melanie works on a Saturday morning?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:27 pm
You should be able to get through on the number/e-mail on my website, but if you have any difficulty Admin will send you my personal e-mail if your need is urgent.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:30 pm
I know in my head that trying for an IVA is the best option - just waiting for my heart to catch up. Can we make an appointment with you? Is this not the place to ask? Sorry admin if not.....

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 pm
I Know exactly what you mean about the sense of calmness, many of us here will [:)]

That means that you are making the right decisions ... remember that we are all here to help and support you through it so make sure that you keep in touch with the Forum ... and all the very best of luck, although with Melanie looking after you it will be more a case of skill than luck [:)]

Debbie
Debbie

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:46 pm
Of course we can arrange to talk Maz, but I am not allowed to use the forum for self-development or sourcing business, so better that we take that side off-line or I will get scolded by Admin as well!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:49 pm
Understood!! SORRY everyone

Last thing seems already in trouble!!! Hee Hee

Will ring tomorrow AM.

Regards

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 pm
Good luck Maz [:)]

Debbie
Debbie