do you smoke?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
75 posts Page 2 of 5

davram1967

Post by davram1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 am
How can someone justify an amount like that for smoking when one of our modifications was to remove our £10 allowance for medical and life insurance for the period of the IVA??
Carl.

If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of credit card payments!!!

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am
even as a smoker - i echo davrams comments.
lots of payments to go.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:48 am
Creditor voting policy is currently very unpredictable - and often appears be based on them grabbing some extra money at random without sufficient thought for the consequences on the debtor.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:02 am
I cannot justify the 40 or so ciggies I smoke each week. I cant justify doing 35 miles per hour in a 30 mile an hour zone, or doing over 70 miles an hour on a motorway. Niether can I justify the occasional chippy supper ot bottle of wine. I certainly cannot justify getting into debt in the first place.

Paying creditors back is important but then so is quality of life. Its easy to judge smokers, gamblers, boozers, drug addicts and so on. If everyone were the same life would be really boring.

We could all save money somewhere, take more care of ourselves and do everything that is good for us and nothing that is bad. I guess it really depends on choice.
Last edited by freelili on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

LoneRanger

Post by LoneRanger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:08 am
I dont think an allowance should be completly stopped. As an ex smoker i know what its like if you cant have one. At the end of the day its an addiction and if your told you cant have any money for them, then i believe alot of people would be quite tempted to buy them anyway, resulting in using other allowances and then who knows what.

I dont beleive it would be fair for a creditor to say you shouldnt smoke. However £35 a week is way too generous and i cant believe a creditor would accept this amount.
Steve.

IVA approved!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am
I agree. I am an ex smoker myself - I know what it is like giving up. It's hard.

I know we are responsible for the debt, but we are doing something about it. Why should we have to walk round in sackcloth and ashes for five years? We should have some quality of life, and if people can manage to finance their smoking, then fine.

I have an allowance for my pets - should I give them up? Should I give up my social drinking (not that there is a lot of that these days?)

I think £35 is way too generous, but if you can manage to fund it yourselves by cutting back on something,then fine.

Davram, as far as your insurance goes, I think I would have cut a few corners on some of my allowances in order to carry on paying that.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:32 am
Surely the point is that people shouldn't have to cut corners to allow for something as important as life insurance when someone else gets an allowance for cigarettes?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 am
I totally agree Skip, but if they won't give you an allowance, I would just have carried on by cutting a bit off my food bill.

I think all my insurances were lumped together in one sum, they are not separated.

I have pet insurance as well, which was allowed for. Life insurance should definitly be included.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 am
Agreed Skippy, the example cited does seem a little ludicrous.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm
I agree too. I had to cancel my life insurance and I doubt I would get in now at the same price I did before. This is not fair on families when one partner would have to pick up the pieces after the death of the other.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 pm
I think excessive life insurance should be stopped but surely everyone is entitled to some cover during an iva?? Would any paid out money go into your IVA on death though?? I assume it would.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:37 pm
oops sorry didnt mean to open such a can.....worms everywhere eh!.

Re life insurance, there are lots of over 50 specials at the moment for those of a more mature age ;-), I dont think life insurance should be excluded from IVA.

Charles

Til

Post by Til » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:41 pm
We've got life insurance that pre iva would have paid off mortgage - now I presume it would firstly pay off debts and end the iva early and then the rest would go to paying part of the mortgage?

This would be ok for us (touch wood and God forbid we don't ever find out!) as the person left behind would end up with much smaller manageable mortgage at least and be debt free so could cope.

Interesting question that - hope an expert will be able to say for sure?
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:53 pm
I never even thought to ask what order things would get paid in the event of my passing(not planning on going anywhere for at least 40 years). Would the mortgage be paid off 1st then unsecured debts(that are part of my trust deed)??

The life insurance isnt specifically to pay the mortgage,just took out enough to cover house and lump sum to keep OH and son going for a while.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

davram1967

Post by davram1967 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm
Lily,
I didn't mean to come across as judgmental of anyone. I apologise if it came across like that. I would never deny anybody any of their pleasures in life. I was merely pointing out the irony of someone being allowed £35 per week to smoke and us being asked to give up life insurance. I enjoy the odd bottle of wine or few beers myself every now and then, and try to cut back from another budget if I want a drink. Going by what Mel says, it does seem that where the creditors take the extra money from is a bit random.

Kallis, that's what we are going to do. I don't want to give up our life insurance so we will take a tenner from elsewhere.
Carl.

If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of credit card payments!!!
75 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”