Direct Debit set up without permission!

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
40 posts Page 3 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:11 pm
I've never had a problem with those Julie. I'm with Nationwide and you get a photocopy receipt out so you know it has gone through ok. HSBC do the same.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:18 pm
Thats good to hear Jan - if I can't nip out to the bank tomorrow I'll have to use it.

I had planned to use my lunch break as study time...I need that money in bank more though.

xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:22 pm
The one's I'm talking about are the ones inside the bank. Are we talking a bit at cross purposes here?

Mind you, I never had a problem with the old system either. As long as you get a receipt you should be ok.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:32 pm
Had a phonecall from the Halifax today. The gentleman that called agreed that not only had Halifax made a grave error but the customer service I received ( or not) fell way short of their expected standards.

He was very apologetic and is sending me £50 vouchers for my upset and inconvenience! I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone, but it certainly pays to contact the FSO and complain!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm
Result Julie! Really pleased you got it sorted.

It pays to persevere.
Bob Marley.

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:58 pm
well done swany hun x
its good to get them to cough up for a change ! [}:)]

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 pm
Well done Julie, good for you. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

freelili

Post by freelili » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 pm
Fantastic news for you, it was worth getting on to them but like you say, very inconvenient and a lot of hassle.

Well done though.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:16 pm
I apologise in advance for the length of this post but previous posts to this subject evidence the fact that there are a loss of misconceptions around about the Direct Debit system. As a Direct Debit Originator, I will try to shed a little light on the procedures.

Indeed there have been many developments within our banking system that have never been publicised - such as the fact that no cheque for less than £10,000 is ever examined at all, it is simply paid. It is therefore quite possible for a completely unsigned cheque to be paid.

I found this out when I suddenly noticed that two Direct Debit payments had been taken from our “Clients” account This is an account with “Trust” status. This means that our Bank recognise that the money in this fund is not ours, but is held on trust for others. The effect of this is that the Bank would be unable to use any of these monies as offset against any of our liabilities. What had in fact caused the Direct Debits to be taken was that an Agent of ours, a Mortgage Broker had been completing Direct Debits for a Mortgage and a Life Assurance policy at the same time as our Direct Debit for Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance. On his Client’s Direct Debit Instructions for the Mortgage and Life Assurance payments he wrote our bank details. I asked our bank for an undertaking that no Direct Debits would ever be taken from our “Clients” account. They were unable to give this undertaking.

It is important to understand that any Direct Debit Originator can set up a Direct Debit on any account at any time, either legitimately, by mistake, or fraudulently. The first the payer will know about this will be when the money is taken.

The Direct Debit system offers the payer protection against mistake or fraud ONLY VIA THE DIRECT DEBIT GUARANTEE.

Because the system actually empowers every Direct Debit Originator to set up as many fraudulent Direct Debits as they wish, and their Bank has to guarantee to make these good immediately upon challenge from the payer’s Bank, the Originator’s bank is at severe risk, and will investigate thoroughly all applications to become a Direct Debit Originator, and take steps to protect itself.

When our Company was given Direct Debit Origination facilities by our Bank, top cover this, my wife Gwen and I had to give personal guarantees as well as our Company’s guarantee, and provide security to the Bank to back both of these guarantees.

The only way to safeguard yourselves is to examine your bank statements regularly and in depth.

If a Direct Debit has been taken from your account without your permission, you should immediately require your Bank to honour the Direct Debit Guarantee they gave you, and to reimburse you immediately. They can then go to the Direct Debit Originator’s Bank and request the money back from them. If the Direct Debit Originator thinks that they collected the Direct Debit correctly, they can provide proof of this to their Bank.

The wording of the Direct Debit guarantee is very clear.

This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the Scheme is monitored and protected by your own Bank or Building Society.

If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change the Originator will notify you ten working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.

If an error is made by the Originator or your Bank or Building Society you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society.

Please remember that it is up to you to challenge a transaction, WITHOUT YOUR CHALLENGE NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:14 pm
very interesting John and thanks for taking the time to post in detail.

As you will have read, I quoted the DD guarantee and had some success eventually. However,it was very frustrating and I was made to feel guilty and prove my innocence.

I check my balance/ transactions every day, but never checked the DD's set up - so big lesson learnt for me!
40 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”